1754043 Members
3594 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: alternate link limit

Jeff Cai
Occasional Contributor

alternate link limit

From the man page of vgextend command, it is said that the alternate link is limited to 7,
so Currently LVM supports a maximum of 8 paths to a physical volume (7 alternates and one primary).

Right now we have more than 7 alternate link to the same disk, is there any way to enlarge the limit(for example to 16)?
8 REPLIES 8
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

I don't believe that there is any provision for extending this limit. Perhaps, more interesting, is the question of "why". Remember, LVM alternate links (pvlinks) are for high-availability only. That is, the primary link (first in 'etc/lvmtab') performs the I/O whereas a secondary, tertiary, etc. becomes active only in the event the primary fails.

Regards!

...JRF...
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Yes, Seven is the limit for alternate links. I wonder why you need 7 alternate links?

USA..
Good Luck..
Ken Hubnik_2
Honored Contributor

Uday
Why does a cat need 9 lives????
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

This limitation is going to be HW specific to the server's and disk array's limitations via HBA's (* Host Bus Adapters *). Its not as easy as how many alternate PVlinks are allowed in LVM. There are redundantcy limitations.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Michael Duthie
Trusted Contributor

Jeff,

At a guess I'd say you need to change that FC Hub for a couple of Brocades :-)

Mike
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Well, if you need that much redundancy, if you are on an EMC - then I suggest you invest in EMC Powerpath - let that do the redundancy and load balencing at the back end for you.

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Redundancy!
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

To be redundant, I'll ask why?
One life is more than enough for a cat.