New Discussion юеВ

lvextend error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Wamaitha
Frequent Advisor

lvextend error

hi, trying to extend lvol3 from 208 to 608,getting this error:
lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.
Logical volume "/dev/vg00/lvol3" could not be extended.
Failure possibly caused by contiguous allocation policy.
Failure possibly caused by strict allocation policy
any suggestions as to what i am doing wrong??
thanks in advance
9 REPLIES 9
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: lvextend error

Is this LV mirrored by any chance? If so, this error is probably telling you that you don't have enough extents available on one of your physical disks.

Pete

Pete
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi:

I presume that this is the root ("/") filesystem of vg00 since it is lvol3.

In that case, it is very unlikely that you are going to find any free physical extents (PE) that are immediately adjacent to the last PE that currently comprises lvol3.

While do-able, I would advise you to re-Ignite your server if this is truly vg00 and if you *must* enlarge '/'.

Your '/' filesystem should not need to be very large and if you are keeping files other than those in '/etc' and '/dev' and '/stand' you need to reassess what it is you are doing.

Regards!

...JRF...
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

This ain't gonna work. Your are trying to extend / and all the blocks must be contigious. Essentially your only option with or without OnlineJFS is to do a make_tape_recovery and Ignite a new system.
By the way, if you need / greater than about 200MB (and that is generous), you are doing it wrong.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Disregard my mirroring theory - I didn't even look at which LV this was. James and Clay have hit the nail on the head.

Pete

Pete
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

When you it is lvol3 I presume that it is the / filesystem in that case it will not be possible to extend it since they need to be contiguous.

Just kind of interested to know why do you require more space in / you could as well create another filesystem and mount it under /. If root is growing then you need to fix the issue since it will still keep growing even if you increase instead of that fix the issue.

Rgds

HGN
Wamaitha
Frequent Advisor

yes it is /, created another logical vol /root with a size of 2G, will copy all the necessary files to the new /root logical. was increaing the size because software developers had requested that this be done becasue the did have issues when the were loading some software.
so there is nothing that can be done with the current lvol3?
thanks in advance
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Beat your developeres over the head. No application is supposed to be loaded into /. I'll make an exception for perhaps licensing data and configuration data but if they need more than about 10KB in / (and that is extremely generous) then they are not conforming to good UNIX software standards.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Wamaitha
Frequent Advisor

thank you all, i will glading hit the developers over the head with this.
as always thanks for the answers.
Wamaitha
Frequent Advisor

as always thanks for the info.