1756477 Members
3030 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: lvextend no space left on disks withing the logical volume

Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

lvextend no space left on disks withing the logical volume

I need to extend the logical volume lvol5, and c0t6d0 and c0t5d0 is mirroed set in lvol5. The problem is there is no physcial space left on these two disks, only available space is on c1t4 and c1t6 that is used in the other lvol's. Can I extend the lvol5 onto c1t4 and c1t6 as a mirror set?

Also how come lvchange -C n /dev/vg00/lvol7 won't let me change the "strict" to "nostrict" in the filed of Allocation. I did the command, but no changes.

Thanks,
none
6 REPLIES 6
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

You can have lvol5 on different LUN's, and mirrored it is okay, as long as when the system boots that the connection is a valid one, i.e. connected and working.

Using the -C options is for contiguous, and trying to change that is extremely difficult unless the extents are available. You need to use the -s option.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Ashwani Kashyap
Honored Contributor

Yes you can do that as long as c1t4 and c1t6 belong to the same vg as c0t6 and c0t5 .

-s n , will tirn off strict .
-C n turns off contiguous allocation policy .
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

Logical volumes cannot be spanned across different volume groups. Are your "c1t4" and "c1t6" disks in the same volume group as your c0t6d0 and c0t5d0 disks? If not, then you cannot use these disks to extend your lvol5 logical volume.

# vgdisplay -v vgXX

will display what disks belong to a particular voulme group (XX).

If you want to change the strict allocation policy then you need to specify:

# lvchange -s n /dev/vg00/lvol7

When a logical volume is mirrored, the following changes are not allowed:
+ From nonstrict to strict
+ From nonstrict to PVG-strict
+ From strict to PVG-strict

The -C option sets the contiguous policy. Please see the lvchange man page.
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...
Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You can extend lvol5 to other disks if they are in same volume group.

Sunil
*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

Looking at your question it is unclear to me if the spare space you have on the other LV's is in the same volume group. If that space is already allocated to logical volumes you will have to lvreduce them before you can use that space. You might have to reduce the filesystem too. If the space is in a different volume group you can't use it at all.

As mentioned above, you need the -C n and the -s n option to solve the mirroring problem you mention though this will allow you to have mirrored extents on the same disk/LUN as the primary extents which is a bit pointless.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

Yes, all 4 disks are in the same group.

Can anybody please let me know steps how to include c1t4, and c1t6 in the volume lvol7, as the set of mirrors?
none