Operating System - HP-UX
1757084 Members
2405 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

mounting lvm disk that was from another system and NOT exported...

SOLVED
Go to solution
VINCENT SPURGEON
Frequent Advisor

mounting lvm disk that was from another system and NOT exported...

I have a drive from a HPUX 11 system that was part of volume group "vg00" that contained two drives (each filesystem was mirrored).

That drive is now the SECOND drive of another system with its own volume group "vg00".

Is there a way to mount the second drive under a different volume group, (i.e., vgtmp)?

I was thinking that I should create the /dev/vgtmp/group and files first then vgimport?

I wanted to get everyone's ideas or to see if anyone had to do this before. Thanks!
It's only a flesh wound...
6 REPLIES 6
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: mounting lvm disk that was from another system and NOT exported...

haven't tried it before but here are some thoughts!

You should be able to vgimport the drive, keep in mind that vgimport should complain because not all the disks are there. When you go to activate the temp vol group you'll have to activate it with no quorum, if you get that far. Once it activates mount the filesystems. I'm assuming that since it was mirrored you should be able to get to the data if the data was there.

# mkdir /dev/vgtmp
# mknod /dev/vgtmp/group c 64 0x0?0000
# vgimport /dev/vgtmp /dev/dsk/c?t?d?
# vgchange -a y -q n /dev/vgtmp

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes

-Denver
VINCENT SPURGEON
Frequent Advisor

I think this is on the right track, I'll try this later today and get back with you
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Hi,

This isn't in any way connected to your other post about not being able to boot after a kernel rebuild is it?

How did you relocate it from vg00 on the one server to vg00 on the other?

Was it mirrored at all?

What exactly are you trying to achieve? There are probably easier ways of going about it!

Regards,
John

frank beall_1
Occasional Advisor

The easiest way to do this is to go in to sam and create a new volume group and add the disk to the new volume group. it should already have logical volumes on it. create the mount points to mount the logical volumes on. ( you just need the mount points.)

I did this two weeks ago.
yow
frank beall_1
Occasional Advisor

use the import function in sam.
yow
VINCENT SPURGEON
Frequent Advisor

Seperate situations and servers.

This 2nd drive is from a system that is nolonger around and a user wants to retrieve some files that might possibly be there.