108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

problem trying to lvextend a FS part of a strict VG

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Harshman_1
Regular Advisor

problem trying to lvextend a FS part of a strict VG

I am trying to extend a FS that is part of a VG that is using pvg-strict/allocation configuration for each LV. I have added disks to each PVG, but when i try to do a lvextend, i get an error that there are "not enough free physical extents available" and that it failed "possibly caused by PVG-strict or distributed allocation policies". This is the first time i have tried to extend a PVG LV after it has been configured so im slightly lost here. THis is on a HPUX server running 11.i. Thanks in advance.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
17 REPLIES 17
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Re: problem trying to lvextend a FS part of a strict VG

I guess you need to add the new disks in /etc/lvmpg file.

you can edit this file with vi

for example:
VG /dev/vg01
PVG PVG0
/dev/dsk/c0t6d0
/dev/dsk/c0t7d0
/dev/dsk/c0t8d0 <- added pv

-USA..
Good Luck..
Mark Harshman_1
Regular Advisor

yes, i checked that and the new disks are reflected in /etc/lvmpvg file.
Prashant Zanwar_4
Respected Contributor

How much is the space available and how much you are trying to allocate.

Space available for you shall be:

check the above, and see how the space is available. Like is it equally available on both the PVG's or not. Because when you are extending the LV you are extending mirror also with it. Consider this also. Try allocating bit lesser than above available.

Hope this helps
Prashant
"Intellect distinguishes between the possible and the impossible; reason distinguishes between the sensible and the senseless. Even the possible can be senseless."
Mark Harshman_1
Regular Advisor

i've tried doing it with less also, get the same error. I've attached a vgdisplay of the VG. The last PV in each of the PVG groups are the ones i have added. there are 10 LV's and 10 PVG's. Thanks
Sundar_7
Honored Contributor

It is possible the LV is distributed.

Check the allocation policy for the LV : If it is PVG-strict/distributed and if the LV is currently distributed among N number of PVs, you need to add N Number of PVs to the Volume group to be able to extend the LV.
Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?
Prashant Zanwar_4
Respected Contributor

Can you tell what are you trying to do. Like what is the command which you are using and on which LV.

Also check your max pe per PV factor, if you have added PV's which are of size

max PE per PV * PE SIZE , that will be probametic for you as space will not be usable. What size PV's you habe added and what space you are trying to extend. If you can explain this it will be helpful to reply
Thanks
Prashant
"Intellect distinguishes between the possible and the impossible; reason distinguishes between the sensible and the senseless. Even the possible can be senseless."
Prashant Zanwar_4
Respected Contributor

Sundar too has good input..
Thanks
Prashant
Sundar_7
Honored Contributor

I dont see a use for PVG-Strict allocation in your environment !. Your LVs are not mirrored, so PVG strict will only make sense if the LV is distributed.

If the LV is distributed. refer my above post.
Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?
Mark Harshman_1
Regular Advisor

I'm attaching a file that shows a lvdisplay of one of the LV's. They are all configured basically the same. This LV had 4 PV disks in it, each has 3472 PE's of 4mb each. The disk i am adding to the PVG is the same size.