Operating System - Linux
1753506 Members
4934 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compiling Apache on HP-UX 11.11

Jeff Bridwell

Compiling Apache on HP-UX 11.11

I'm trying to compile Apache on HP-UX 11.11.

The configure script ran fine as did much of the make process. However, when the make tries to create a shared library, it keeps failing.

I don't do this too often so I'm a bit stumped.

The command that is failing is:

/usr/bin/posix/sh /archive0/apache-2.2.8/httpd-2.2.8/srclib/apr/libtool --silent --mode=link cc -g -Ae +Z +DAportable -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHPUX11 -D_REENTRANT -D_HPUX_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -b -I./include -I/archive0/apache-2.2.8/httpd-2.2.8/srclib/apr/include/arch/unix -I./include/arch/unix -I/archive0/apache-2.2.8/httpd-2.2.8/srclib/apr/include -version-info 2:12:2 -o libapr-1.la -rpath /home/dev/bridwelj/apache2/lib passwd/apr_getpass.lo strings/apr_cpystrn.lo strings/apr_fnmatch.lo strings/apr_snprintf.lo strings/apr_strings.lo strings/apr_strnatcmp.lo strings/apr_strtok.lo tables/apr_hash.lo tables/apr_tables.lo atomic/unix/apr_atomic.lo dso/unix/dso.lo file_io/unix/copy.lo file_io/unix/dir.lo file_io/unix/fileacc.lo file_io/unix/filedup.lo file_io/unix/filepath.lo file_io/unix/filepath_util.lo file_io/unix/filestat.lo file_io/unix/flock.lo file_io/unix/fullrw.lo file_io/unix/mktemp.lo file_io/unix/open.lo file_io/unix/pipe.lo file_io/unix/readwrite.lo file_io/unix/seek.lo file_io/unix/tempdir.lo locks/unix/global_mutex.lo locks/unix/proc_mutex.lo locks/unix/thread_cond.lo locks/unix/thread_mutex.lo locks/unix/thread_rwlock.lo memory/unix/apr_pools.lo misc/unix/charset.lo misc/unix/env.lo misc/unix/errorcodes.lo misc/unix/getopt.lo misc/unix/otherchild.lo misc/unix/rand.lo misc/unix/start.lo misc/unix/version.lo mmap/unix/common.lo mmap/unix/mmap.lo network_io/unix/inet_ntop.lo network_io/unix/inet_pton.lo network_io/unix/multicast.lo network_io/unix/sendrecv.lo network_io/unix/sockaddr.lo network_io/unix/sockets.lo network_io/unix/sockopt.lo poll/unix/epoll.lo poll/unix/kqueue.lo poll/unix/poll.lo poll/unix/port.lo poll/unix/select.lo random/unix/apr_random.lo random/unix/sha2.lo random/unix/sha2_glue.lo shmem/unix/shm.lo support/unix/waitio.lo threadproc/unix/proc.lo threadproc/unix/procsup.lo threadproc/unix/signals.lo threadproc/unix/thread.lo threadproc/unix/threadpriv.lo time/unix/time.lo time/unix/timestr.lo user/unix/groupinfo.lo user/unix/userinfo.lo -lrt -lm -lpthread -ldld
cc: warning 422: Unknown option "b" ignored.
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
main (Not referenced yet! Probably due to -u option)
*** Error exit code 1

Since the command is linking a set of objects to a shared library, it shouldn't require a main option yet this is the error I keep getting.
7 REPLIES 7
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Compiling Apache on HP-UX 11.11

"I'm trying to compile Apache on HP-UX 11.11"

Please allow 1 question - why?

Go to
http://software.hp.com and search for "apache" - you will find ready to install apache depots, it's pretty easy.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jeff Bridwell

Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to use a tool that specifies version 2.2.3 of Apache. I can see that HP has Apache based server. It looks like the latest revision of the HP product (WebServerSuite v2.19) is based on Apache 2.0.59.

We are running HP 11.11. The downloads from HP reference HP 11 version 2 and version 3 but I don't see one that matches our current release.

I'll download a copy and see if it flies on our development server despite the version concerns.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

I know nothing, but it appears that GCC has
a "-b" option ("man gcc"):

Target Options
-V version -b machine

I'd guess that something got confused between
GCC and HP C. (You seem to have the "-b"
option, but not the "machine" parameter,
which would certainly confuse me, and which
would seem unlikely to please anyone.) Could
be in "libtool", could be in the
configuration infrastructure, ...

Have you considered trying this whole thing
using GCC? That build environment is
probably better tested than yours. I got the
new GCC 4.3.0 build to go through with no
problems (using an older depot-supplied GCC),
which was a pleasant surprise. (After
installing the new GMP and MPFR
prerequisites, of course. Nothing's ever so
easy as I might like.)

Does anyone reveal the tricks/procedures used
to create the depots?
Jeff Bridwell

Thanks for the advice Stephen. I'll give gcc a shot. The overall process with configure and the other build tools is quite powerful but pretty complicated to unpack when you run into an issue.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] (After installing the new GMP and
> MPFR prerequisites [...]

Oh, yeah. The native "sed" was inadequate
for "configure", too, so I had to haul in GNU
"sed", and put "/usr/local/bin" at the front
of my PATH. (I already had "bison" and GNU
"m4", as required by previous GCC versions.)

> [...] when you run into an issue.

Is that anything like a problem?
Jeff Bridwell

Actually - I just found an apache 2.2.8 depot on the HP port site. I think I'll get with our SA tomorrow morning and try that out.

Thanks again for your suggestions. If the depot is a dead-end, I'll go back to the open source and compiling.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I don't do this too often so I'm a bit stumped.
>cc -g -Ae +Z +DAportable ... -b

You have an obsolete version of the C compiler. It doesn't support -b, to create shlibs.

>Steven: it appears that GCC has a "-b" option: -b machine

These aren't the droids you're looking for. :-)