108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expand a path passed to a script

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Tesch
Advisor

Expand a path passed to a script

I'm working in HP-UX 11.11 using the ksh shell. Does anyone know how I can expand a path that has been passed as a parameter to a script?

For example, if the current directory is "/database/app" and the user passes "../bin", I need to expand it to "/database/bin". Or if the current directory is "/database/app" and the user passes "../bin/myfile.txt" I need it to expand to "/database/bin/myfile.txt".

I've come up with a way to brute force the result but I have to believe there's an easier way. I've included my brute force method in an attachment.

Any help would be appreciated.
24 REPLIES 24
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you need to use expanded path in the script, use, if the path is the first parameter:
PATH=$PATH:$PWD/$1
If you want to expand path for your interactive shell, run

. script dirname

after the shell prompt.
The script should contain the same string

HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Hi Steve:

I don't understand whell what you need to do, because if are in /database/app and you use the ../bin or replace by /database/bin, you have the same results. I don't see the difference.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Steve Tesch
Advisor

Victor,
Ivan,

Apparently my original explanation was not clear. When I stated that I need to be able to expand a path, I did not mean PATH, I was simply referring to any combination of typed directories the user may pass to a script, which is why I included examples.

As to the reason this is required; while you are correct that the examples I gave are equivalent within the shell, the relative paths have no meaning to another user viewing the results unless they know where the script was run from in the first place. This particular script can be run from anywhere on the system and the results have to indicate absolute paths in order to make any sense.

If that were the only issue, simply reporting the starting directory would reoslve the problem. However, absolute paths are a must when the results have to be sortable in a spreadsheet by path. Attempting to sort relative paths and make any sense of them is impossible.

I hope this helps clarify what I'm looking for.

Steve
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

What if you simply use:

APP_PATH=/database/app

Then, in your script, always use:

$APP_PATH/$1

So, if APP_PATH is /database/app, and the user passes ../bin, doest matter where he is, he will go to

/database/app/../bin -> /database/bin
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Steve:

# cat getpath
#!/usr/bin/sh
pwd
echo ${1}
WHERE=`perl -le 'use Cwd qw(realpath);print realpath $ARGV[0];' $1`
echo ${WHERE}

For example:

# cd /var/tmp/dummydir && ./getpath ../bin
/var/tmp/dummydir
../bin
/var/tmp/bin

Does that help? This is based on the realpath() C library function.

Regards!

...JRF...
Steve Tesch
Advisor

Victor,

Again, the issue isn't manipulating directories within the shell, it's being able to report the absolute path, even if the user specified a relative one.

The answer is straight-forward if the user actually passes a directory but if they pass a filename, it gets much trickier as you can see from the brute force method I uploaded.

Steve
Steve Tesch
Advisor

James,

Your answer looks like it's on the right track but I get the following error when i attempt to run it:

Can't locate Cwd.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /opt/perl5/lib/5.00502/PA-RISC1.1 /opt/perl5/lib/5.00502 /opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.005/PA-RISC1.1 /opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.005 .) at -e line 1.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at -e line 1.

Any thoughts?

Steve
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Just one simple idea.
Is the commands "basename" and "dirname" of any help ?

dirname return the directory part of a path and, basename the filename.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Steve:

It appears that the 'Cwd' module required isn't in your rather old version of perl.

You could download the module from CPAN:

http://search.cpan.org/~kwilliams/PathTools-3.15/Cwd.pm

...or better, yet, upgrade your version of perl:

http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=PERL

Regards!

...JRF...