Operating System - HP-UX
1752631 Members
5728 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Java text fields become read-only when running on an xserver connected to an hp-ux

Kaushalya

Java text fields become read-only when running on an xserver connected to an hp-ux

Hi All,

I have a java program witha gui created with Swing. This program is installed in a maching running HPUX and currently i'm trying to run this program through an X-server configured in my windows xp box. The strange behavior I experience is, when a dialog window is opened in my program and when i closed it... all the text fields in the parent window (which was working properly) suddenly becomes read-only. Buttons and combo boxes in the parent windows works without any problem.

Have anyone experienced this problem before?

I really appreciate if anyone could help me to get rid of this strainge behavior.

thanks in advance,
Jini
5 REPLIES 5
Heironimus
Honored Contributor

Re: Java text fields become read-only when running on an xserver connected to an hp-ux

I've seen a lot of problems with graphical Java apps. Not all PC X servers work properly with Java GUIs running on UNIX systems.

I've found that the Cygwin X server almost never works correctly unless the server is running XFree86 or X.org (which are mainly used on Linux).

Hummingbird always worked with Sun systems, never tried it with an HP server.

Reflection usually worked with HP-UX, though it had a lot of other problems.

I haven't used any other X servers with Java apps.
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Re: Java text fields become read-only when running on an xserver connected to an hp-ux

I've seen this issue, but the cause was more in the version of Java that I was using than the Xwindows server. Try patching up your Java version and see if it changes. Very often for me, this did/does the trick.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Kaushalya

Hi Guys,

As John said, I also identified that the problem is in JVM, not in the xserver. I experienced the same problem in AIX as well.

My HP-UX box (hpux B.11.23 U ia64) does show the gui problem when I run the java program with JDK 1.5.0.03 but works properly with JDK 1.4.1.07.

But what I want is to run the application on jdk 1.5 (not 1.4) since I'm using 1.5 specific language features.

John, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks alot for spending your valuable time on this issue.
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I would look at various other versions of 1.5 - like 1.5.002
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
lopio70

hi,

i got the same problem with jre i.6.0.13/14

How did you solve?