Re: Perl Module Installation problem

James T Horn
Frequent Advisor

>use Email::Date::Format qw(email_date);
>
>Fails on my system:

>Can't locate Email/Date/Format.pm in @INC >(@INC contains: perl_root

Did you try following the MMS TEST with MMS INSTALL, then try MMS TEST again?
Peter Barkas
Regular Advisor

No I haven't got the email/date/time module installed, the error is when I try to 'use' it which seems to be what you were seeing?
James T Horn
Frequent Advisor

I'm seeing during the MMS Test.

Checking with HP, they suggested not using the PERL_ROOT:[SITE] directory, but creating a directory not within Perl's directories, (this time I tried a ODS-2 drive) and that worked.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> vmstar & gzip are both from the Freeware
> v8.0 CD [000tools] directory.

Gzip is not a likely source of this problem.
MMS is.

> VMSTAR
> MMS /IDENT

Still wondering about one of those.

For a newer VMSTAR, you might investigate:

http://antinode.info/ftp/vmstar/

I'm unaware of any problems with the latest
one. (Which may not prove much, but
complaints are always welcome.)
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

>Checking with HP, they suggested not using
>the PERL_ROOT:[SITE] directory, but creating
>a directory not within Perl's directories,
>(this time I tried a ODS-2 drive) and that
>worked.

Good, that was also one of my recommendations.

The symptom of not being able to find a module looks the same whether you simply don't have the module (Peter) or if special overrides in the build infrastructure to load a module for testing purposes when it has been built but not yet installed aren't working right (James).

Basically the test harness prepends local library directories to @INC, the array containing a list of paths from which modules may be loaded. It's the moral equivalent of prepending items to a search list logical, though logicals are not specifically involved here.

The reason the tests worked after installing the module is that the module would then be found in its final destination rather than its temporary, pre-installation location.
Rick Retterer
Respected Contributor

If you want to see what the @INC equates to with PERL, you simply using the -V switch (uppercase-V) and it will list out the current configuration of PERL including the path statements for @INC.

$ PERL "-V"

During testing, I found that when installing a perl module, it works best if you don't unzip the module package file or un-tar the file anywhere inside the PERL_ROOT:[000000] directory.

First gunzip the file.

Next, Create a empty, temporary subdirectory elsewhere on the disk, Copy the tar file into it, then un-tar the file using VMSTAR.

$ mcr []vmstar -xvf module-filename.tar

It will create yet another sub-directory where it expands all of the module sources and it then creates the Makefile.pl.

Change directory into the newly created sub-directory, where the Makefile.pl script is located, then execute your commands as per the README file.

$ perl Makefile.pl

$ mms (or mmk)

$ mms test

$ mms install

That's it. I was able to install the module you were attempting to install quite easily.

I sent you email on these steps, and you should be able to complete this in quick order.

Cheers,
Rick.
- Rick Retterer