1753781 Members
7855 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: THREAD Problems

Scott McDade
Frequent Advisor

THREAD Problems

I an trying to get a C++ program running on 10.20 that has been running on a Sun workstation running Solaris 5.6 (CShell).

I am running into problems linking functions that appear to be defined in "libthread.a", "libposix4.a" and "libpthread.a" libraries. Does anyone know anything about these libs and if so where I can find them?
Keep it Simple!~
5 REPLIES 5
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

The porting site has a lot of libs I would try there first.

http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/

Good luck.
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

pthread libraries are provided by default with 11.0. For 10.20, you need to install it from the DCE DevKit on the OS CD. Please remember, 10.20 doesn't support kernel level threads. You need to have atleast 11.0.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Scott,

and for that reason (no kernel threads) you will have to take about "thread-safety" and use "jacket-routines" where neccessary!

Good luck,
Wodisch
Scott McDade
Frequent Advisor

Sri: I am not familiar with the "DCE DevKit" when I browse the OS media I find several DCE bundles but not the one you mention. In looking on the CD I find DCE-Contrib, DCE-CORE, DCE-CoreAdmin and DCE-CoreTools.

I installed the DCE-CoreTools as it describes them as Application development tools but I am still not able to find the thread - related libs. I have attached a file that lists which DCE bundles are on my 10.2 media. HELP?????
Keep it Simple!~
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Scott,

I do not have a CD now but I can recall now with the help of your attachment. Install DCEProg. They should have the pthread libraries. Without installing itself, you can verify by doing a find inside the /CDROM. You need to mount the CDROM first.

find /CDROM -name libpthread.a

If my memory is still valid, it should be under DCEProg.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try