108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What is the Command to monitor process memory usage

SOLVED
Go to solution
rymani
Occasional Advisor

What is the Command to monitor process memory usage

The "top" command is showing the memory usage status of processes, but it is not showing the memory getting down whenever a deallocation occurs (c++ delete operator), whereas in windows i can able to see the memory getting down when deallocation occurs using "task manager".

Whether "top" is not the right command to monitor memory, if so any other command is there for to monitor memory.
8 REPLIES 8
Ludovic Derlyn
Esteemed Contributor

hi

Use glance to monitor it
glance->process list-> select process (S)
You can see memory by process

Regards
L-DERLYN
Don Morris_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Actually, top is probably right (and I doubt Glance will show things much differently). A deallocation in C++ / free() in C gives memory back to the underlying library (libc in C, I haven't worked in C++ for 7 years so forgive me if I forget that library name). The library then does caching or garbage collection or whatever it wants to do [usually just the caching -- if you deallocate a C++ object and then ask for a new one... you can get the memory you just freed back]. As a result, from the OS's point of view (which is what top/Glance is reporting), the application memory consumption didn't change -- because the library per-application caches are already included in those values.

Only when the library layer decides to give memory back to the underlying OS will you see the application shrink. Windows libraries may just do that more aggressively, is all. For the Unix libraries, they're likely (I say this because I certainly didn't write all the libc / libc++ variants out there by any means) more worried about virtual address space management than physical. First, there's no guarantee an object of a particular size touched all the underlying pages anyway, and second -- the OS will page out objects in the application or the library (since it neither knows nor cares where the library thinks the ownership is) if it needs/wants more memory anyway. Only the virtual address layout/limitations of the application itself matter... and the caching benefits outweigh (strongly in most cases) the overhead of tossing memory down to the OS layer on every free().
H_16
Trusted Contributor

GlancePlus - Graphical interface....

#export DISPLAY
#gpm

You will be able to see memory usage more clearly..
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

How about this script called processmem:

# /usr/local/bin/processmem lpsched

Memory claimed by lpsched: 12772 Kbytes.

# cat /usr/local/bin/processmem
#!/bin/sh
# processmem - display memory claimed by a process
#
if [ $# -lt 1 -o \( $# -gt 1 -a $# -lt 4 \) ]
then
echo "Usage:"
echo "processmem \"process\""
echo "Example:"
echo "processmem rpc"
exit 1
fi
echo " "

PROCESS=$1

mps=0
#for sz in `ps -elf | grep $PROCESS | grep -v grep | awk '{print $10}'`
for sz in `UNIX95= ps -e -o vsz=Kbytes -o ruser -o pid,args=Command-Line | sort -rnk1 | grep -v Kbytes | grep $PROCESS | awk '{print $1}'`
do
mps=`expr $mps + $sz`
done
#echo `expr $mps \* 4096`
echo "\nMemory claimed by $PROCESS: $mps Kbytes.\n"

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Except in rare cases (newer versions with correct options set and if the block is essentially the last allocated), HP-UX (like most UNIX flavors) does not return the free()'ed memory to the OS but rather pushes the deallocated memory onto the heap for subsequent reuse by the same process. It is thus very rare for a process to shrink in size. UNIX ain't Windows; don't expect Windows-like behavior.

The underlying system call, sbrk(), does allow a negative "growth" and thus it is possible to shrink memory BUT using sbrk() means that you take full control of memory allocation and do not use malloc(), calloc(), realloc() et al or constructors that allocate memory. The execeptions I alluded to earlier do change the behavior of free() to see if the block is the last on the heap and if so will do a negative sbrk() --- but that is the exception.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Don Morris_1
Honored Contributor

You can also get true free behavior (either in the library layer or in your own application if you really want to write your own memory management layer) using MAP_ANONYMOUS|MAP_PRIVATE mmaps. Either unmap the pages, mprotect them with PROT_NONE, etc. when they are completely free. You have to have some sort of metadata to represent sub-page object free counts, of course...

sbrk() is doable, but much less flexible. [You can have holes in the heap with the private mmap() model in a manageable fashion... let the OS worry about refilling the holes for you when you map a new object, etc.]
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

As everyone as mentioned, when you delete (which by default calls free), the space is just left on the libc heap free list. You can call mallinfo(3) to get the used and free sizes.

>Clay: et al or constructors that allocate memory.

If you define your own operator new/delete, you can do anything you want to allocate/deallocate memory. Even use mmap private as Don suggested. For STL containers, you can define your own allocator class.
rymani
Occasional Advisor

Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestion.