5359 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Which perl question

4ldo
Occasional Contributor

Which perl question

Hi all,

In hp-ux if i start a perl program like "#!/usr/local/bin/perl" and there is no /usr/local/bin/perl binary (or a link to binary), it will go on search my $PATH for perl and execute the program. If I try the same on my laptop (Linux) then it will inform me that there is no interpreter (no /usr/local/bin/perl- even though perl is in my path in /usr/bin) and halt ( which makes sense to me). Do you know why this is happening?

Thanks in advance : )

BR-s,
Alex
6 REPLIES 6
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

If there is no /usr/local/bin/perl the script should fail regardless of the platform. I suspect that what is really happening is that the "shebang" line is not the very first line of your script with no leading whitespace. In that case, the shebang becomes a comment.

In any event, generally the least evil approach that I have found is to shebang all perl scripts as:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
on all platforms. Then for each platform, I create a symbolic link from the actual location to /usr/bin/perl, e.g.
ln -s /usr/local/bin/perl /usr/bin/perl

Once that link is created on each target platform, /usr/bin/perl works every time. This convention even works on Windowes because Windows doesn't observe the shebang convention and treats the line as a comment.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Alex:

To aid in locating your perl binary, you could do:

# whereis perl

Then, as Clay suggests, create any necessary symbolic link from '/usr/bin/perl' to the installed binary and use the standard link as your standard interpreter line.

Regards!

...JRF...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

One clever trick that I've seen to execute an "interpreter" anywhere in your path is:
#!/usr/bin/env perl

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to let you put any arguments on that line.
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

indeed, 'env; used to be a good solution for these kind of problems, but then again, 'env' is not installed on all systems either...

so in the end i just made sure all systems had a link at the same place to the real location.
4ldo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot for your comments guys.. No have it all clear : )

Cheers Alex
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Alex:

We're glad you have found help here. Please read:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28

Regards!

...JRF...