1748017 Members
3683 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: control kill

control kill

I need to restrict the use of the [kill] to certain users.

please ,help me, if you know
6 REPLIES 6
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

If you already setup sudoer's file then restrict them through it.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

You need to better define your problem. Note that kill is both a shell built-in and a command so that sudo would really only be effective with the command. Kill is already a restricted command and a normal user cannot signal other users' processes. Are you trying to give non-superusers the ability to terminate processes that are not their own? If so this is a potentially very dangerous situation. Note that kill is a perfectly normal command and does not necessarily terminate a command but rather signals a process and then the behavior is determined by whatever signal handler is in place for that signal for that process.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.

I don't know feature named "sudoer's ".

sorry, about my writer, I understand a little ingles.
inventsekar_1
Respected Contributor

As per knowledge that is not possible.
kill resides in /usr/bin/kill only. there may be a reason for that. [ the reason for that is, logically i think, it cant kill important processes.]

this is Clay's nice response in a thread:
"Kill is perhaps the worst named system call and command in UNIX. It should really be called something like "sendsignal" --- that's all a kill actually is. If a process (like yours) is waiting on a higher-priority event such as an i/o operation, it will never respond to a signal until the higher priority event is satisfied".

also, important processes wont allow to kill by non-root users atleast.(i think)
Be Tomorrow, Today.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

If you really want to do this then install this package, sudo, and then configure it so that certain users can run /usr/bin/kill as root:

http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Sysadmin/sudo-1.6.8p9/

However, this a a very dangerous practice in any but very experienced hands.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Rene Mendez_4
Super Advisor

Hello Alexander

The request is ?

The user root is allow use "kill" command and

When other user execute the command "kill", no work the command ?

You crontab have scripts with kill command and this working but no user execute the command?

Regards
Rene