1745814 Members
3824 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ksh bug?

MoreSawdust
Advisor

ksh bug?

I have a ksh script issue where it appears that /usr/bin/ksh ignores an alias, and searches for it elsewhere (namely FPATH).

The script in question makes use of some aliases that are created by a dotted in script. These are aliases used by dozens of Oracle-related scripts, and they work elsewhere, all the time (or we would be down hard!).

I've put "alias | grep " before and after the alias reference, and it displays the alias accurately, but in execution it can't find it (and sets ${?} to 1). Stderr shows that that the alias was not found.

If I replace the alias call with the actual script name, it works just fine. But - I don't want to do that because it defeats the purpose of the aliases - which is to enable us to alter Oracle environments using one script.

The script also calls some functions that are accessed via "typeset -fu ...." and "typeset FPATH="...". When I create a function with the same name as the alias, it finds it, and executes it as a function.

PHCO-38559 is installed.

Is this a bug? What's the expected behavior? I can't find a definitive reference as to the search order for aliases, functions, etc.
The people are the hardest part.
3 REPLIES 3
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: ksh bug?

Hi:

Did the script in question suddenly stop working on the server on which you have the problem or is this the first time running it there?

A sample of code that demonstrates the problem would be very nice to see.

That said, the search order should be:

1. keywords
2. aliases
3. shell builtins
4. functions
5. external programs found via the PATH variable

Regards!

...JRF...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I've put "alias | grep " before and after the alias reference,

Have you tried "whence -v "?

If you quote the first char of an alias, it isn't one.
Laurent Menase
Honored Contributor

how do you execute your script?
It just means that your default definition file was not sourced ( . file )

where are the alias defined? in what file?
.profile? .kshrc?
does the .profile defined the ENV variable?
Depending on how you exectute your script those files are not sourced,
- to check that you can at a echo in your .profile/.kshrc, to see if they are sourced.
then if you need them you can either:
explicitely source them in your script for instance.
. /somewhere/mydefaultdefinitions

or test if a variable is defined before sourcing
if [ -z "${MYVARIABLE}" ]
then
. /somewhere/mydefaultdefinitions
fi