New Discussion

re : korn shell

SOLVED
Go to solution
vinowg
Advisor

re : korn shell

Hi Guys,

Can anyone advice how can I install the latest korn shell on hpux11i v3 . Is there a way t o test it ??

Regards

Vincent

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX > General to HP-UX > languages - HP Forums Moderator

7 REPLIES 7
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Re: re : korn shell

Hi,

the latest korn shell?
Anything in the os HP-UX is done by patches - so if there are any changes at a shell there should be a patch for it.

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Finally I found it:

Patch Name: PHCO_38683
Patch Description: 11.31 ksh(1) cumulative patch

Creation Date: 09/07/29
Post Date: 09/08/03

HTH
V.
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

>Is there a way t o test it ??

swlist -l patch | grep 38683
Older levels would be these superseeded patches:
PHCO_38162, PHCO_37285

V.
Solution

Depends what you mean by "latest" - if you just mean "latest patch", you have your answer.

If you mean ksh93 rather than ksh88, then you should look at using /usr/dt/bin/dtksh (note I think in some cases this may not be installed by default on 11.31 - it's in the CDE-CDE-MIN fileset, if you don't have that installed you'll need to install it off your installation media)

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Vincent:

You already have the answers to what constitutes the "latest" --- either the most recent cumulative 'ksh' (Korn88) patch or the 'dtksh' (Korn93) from the 11.31 CDE bundle.

As for "a way to test it" you need to tell us what that means to you.  Either source of the above software has been extensively tested.  If you feel that you have a script that isn't working the way you feel it should, create a test case of the anomolous behavior and run the test suite *before* and *after* any software change.

Is there a particular problem that you are having and that you believe would be solved by a patch or change from Korn88 to Korn93 ? 

Regards!

...JRF...

vinowg
Advisor

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, appreicate it. But, how can I set the ksh on the environment so that I can see the repeat command that I have key by pressing key like esc + k . kindly advice??

Regards

Vincent

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

vinowg wrote:. But, how can I set the ksh on the environment so that I can see the repeat command that I have key by pressing key like esc + k . kindly advice??

Hi:

In your '.profile. do:

export EDITOR=vi

Regards!

...JRF...