New Discussion юеВ

__restrict keyword

SOLVED
Go to solution
tiyyagura sunil reddy
Occasional Contributor

__restrict keyword

Hello,

I was trying to use __restrict key word with pointers used as fuction parameters. I have the impression that this keyword only operates on "Single pointes". I dont see any performance improvement when I use the keyword with double pointers. Should __restrict keyword only be used with single pointers??
I would be grateful if someone can answer to my query.

Thanks in advance
sunil
6 REPLIES 6
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

Re: __restrict keyword

I think it will depends on how you try to use the double pointer... and on how the compiler can speed up the code thanks to the restrict keyword.

I think you should try to write it down to a single pointer function to have it speed up right now.
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
Mike Stroyan
Honored Contributor

The __restrict keyword can be very helpful to the HP-UX C and C++ compilers on itanium systems. Here is an example using restrict with pointers to doubles. It produces 70% better performance with the __restrict keyword.
tiyyagura sunil reddy
Occasional Contributor

I would first like to thank Elmar and Mike for responding to my question. Though your replies were informative I would like to make my question more clearer. I wanted to ask whether the __restrict keyword would affect a double pointer (int **p). I tried this for myself, but could not see any performance improvement when the keywork is used with a double pointer.
example:

void accum_restrict(int **__restrict a, int **b, m,n)
{
int i,j;
for(i=0;ifor(j=0;ja[i][j] = (b[i][j]*100)/12;
}

I dont see any improvement in performance for the above code with restrict keyword. Does this mean that the restrict keyword only operates on a single pointer (int *p).

Thanks once again.

sunil
Mike Stroyan
Honored Contributor
Solution

I do see a benefit from using __restrict if you apply it to both of the "int **" parameters. For maximum effect you could actually write "int * __restrict * _restrict a", assuming that neither the pointer arrays or the int arrays overlap.
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

Or try it this way:

inline void accum2_restrict(int *__restrict a2,int *b2, n) {
int j;
for (j=0;ja2[j]=(b[j]*100)/12;
}

void accum_restrict(int **__restrict a, int **b, m,n)
{
int i;
for(i=0;iaccum2_restrict(a[i],b[i],n);
}

Haven't tried it, but that should do the trick. It might not accept the inline, replace it by static then, making it a local function which can be optimized better.
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
tiyyagura sunil reddy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Elmar and Mike. That solved my problem.

sunil