1756974 Members
1685 Online
108857 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: start up script in user's profile.

Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

start up script in user's profile.

I know you add a start up script when you add a user to the server but I need the start up script to be like so ...

/main/bin/c01735 main 109 245 and Sam won't allow you to add the scrip like so but I need this to take place, how should I accomplish this task?
If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor. -Neil Simon
6 REPLIES 6
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Why you don't create a script c01735.sh with the following inside:

/main/bin/c01735 main 109 245

And tell SAM to execute c01735.sh (check the file is executable)

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes

Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Jan Sladky
Trusted Contributor

Hi Deoncia,

I'm not sure what are you exactly talking about, can you describe it in more details ?

generaly you can use and modify template startup script according to /sbin/init.d/template. Don't forget to make S a K links to this script from level you want to start from.

rgds Jan
GSM, Intelligent Networks, UNIX
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

Hey Eric

followed your suggestion and wrote a simple script but now getting variable is not set properly so I set up the variable like so

CAT_HOME=/main
export CAT_HOME

guess what it comes back with.. CAT_HOME is not set in environment so decided to do setenv ENV $CAT_HOME/main and get CAT_HOME is not set... any suggestions?
If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor. -Neil Simon
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

What is this user's shell? How are you logging in as this user. For example, it this a CDE login or a terminal session?

If you put a script inside the user's .profile it must be sourced with the "." command.

Let's assume you have a small script, myvars.sh:

XX=123456
export XX

For example, in the profile suppose you do this:

myvars.sh

In this case, the .profile will execute myvars.sh perfectly BUT because this is executed as a child process the exports will have absolutely no effect upon the parent shell. You need to source the script so that the myvars.sh script becomes a part of .profile.

. myvars.sh

This will work as intended BUT myvars.sh must contain no exit or return statements because you will now exit the foreground process (the shell).

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

I've tried doing the way you suggested and I'm still getting an environment error.

main/bin/c01735: error: CAT_HOME not set in environment.
REFERENCE CODE: c05279-1000

any more suggestions?
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

off to programmers... some information need to be hard coded in the user's profile