M and MSM Series
1757412 Members
3291 Online
108860 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSM422 performance? Much gain using external antennas?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Maxxx
Frequent Advisor

Re: MSM422 performance? Much gain using external antennas?

Hi Graeme,

Nice that you have a MSM170! That's not possible with my budget :(

Have you had different APs in use before those?

If so, which ones? And did you see any improvements in performance with your new 422s?

What I noticed is that the 5GHz band is much worse regarding signal strength in buildings through walls et.c. That's common knowledge of course, but I didn't think it was so bad. I tried that once using our b/g/a Lancom APs.

So I'm a bit afraid that N in 5GHz mode would be similar..

Otherwise it could be a big advantage since our office is plagued with interferences by foreign 2,4GHz APs..
Graeme White_1
Advisor

Hi Max

over the years we have tried netgear, Linksys and Dlink AP.

The linksys units all died after a year or two and the rest followed or were not strong enough.

I am happy with the 422 so far, they have decent range and appear reliable plus the lifetime warranty is always a seller.

The 710 was purchased becaused I wanted to standardise on our AP's and our security policies and it was the easiest way.... but it is not that easy to configure the 710 if you not clued onnetworking, wifi security options and Windows Wifi configs.

I am still struggling but I am sure that once I figure it all out i'll tell the next guy it's so easy ha ha...mmmm we will see.

But I enjoy figuring things out myself
Maxxx
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

"playing around" with the 710 sounds quite interesting, but frustrating the same time :D

I'd also like to have a controller (never ever had one), but that's a bit too big for my setup with only 2 units and it's far too expensive..

I wish you all the best and good luck with the 710 :)

Max