cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compaq Storage Works Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop Switch

Michael Palmieri
Occasional Visitor

Compaq Storage Works Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop Switch

I purchased the unit with the intention of learning FCAL. Do I need any special software or console cable to get access to the device?

I attached a standard DB9 cable to my workstation and the other end to the DB9 port on the switch. I used Putty, Hyperterminal etc and the emulation character set is not readable due to garblded text. I imagine that the emulation settings are off on the client.

Can someone out there let me know what I need to do to gain console access to the Storage Works Fibre Channel Loop Switch.

This is a link to the device in question.
http://www.trademoon.com/Product51054.aspx

Thank You
3 REPLIES 3
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Re: Compaq Storage Works Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop Switch

did u try hyperterm and 9600 baud and rebooting or pwr cycling the switch while connected? Sometimes you can connect.
That is an o l d switch!
gl !
Michael Palmieri
Occasional Visitor

what would I have been able to do with it?
James Muell
Valued Contributor

I don't know what you intention was. 1G fibre channel is pci architecture so any host or storage sys that can connect using a pci base FC port or card and a suitable cable - meaning a 2gb hba with 1 and 2 gb connectors might work. Early fibre channel hardware was a bit fenicky so the Card drvier & fw, the switch os version, & the storage system compatiblilty and ports need to all align. If your just testing\xperiementing, go for it.