1754095 Members
3711 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 4100

EVA 4100

Hi,

I've an EVA4100 and with XCS 6.200
I'had a new M5314C FC Drive Enclosure and the Command Wiew 8.0.1 doesn't see it.

The EVA works perfectly a it doesn't report any issue.

What would it be my problem.

Regards
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

At least one disk drive must be in the enclosure for recognition - a minimum of 4 are required for the supported check.
kSingh

True,this can happen when there is no disk drive in the disk enclosure. The HSV controllers need a disk drive to talk to the EMU.
In other case try swapping the EMU's, CAB cables, moving the CAB cable to a different posstion.
You need to wait 1 or 2 minutes before you plug in the replacement EMU and it can take up to 8 minutes to recognize the new EMU.

It's true, there is no disks in the enclosure. Now if i add a disk, The command view "lose" al disks.

May i add the disk to the enclosure, with the Eva on?, or i must shutdown, add the disk and power on.

Best regards
kSingh

Each disk enclosure has 2 I/O modules, one on each side. The cabling is done in two loops, to have redundancy. It should be like this:

Top controller - Enclosure 1 - Enclosure 2 ... - Bottom controller
While on the other loop we reverse the order of the disk enclosures:
Top controller ... Enclosure 2 - Enclosure 1 - Bottom controller.

Adding a new disk enclosure (up to 4 maximum) consists on inserting it on both loops. It can be done online if you open only one loop at a time.

You must also connect a cable to the EMU, the EAB cable, which allows the enclosure to know in what possition it is.

The enclosure must be added empty and then the disks added one by one with 2 minute interval between them. The minimum of disks on an enclosure is 4.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> The command view "lose" al disks.

Did they move to the "unmapped" folder?
Wait some minutes and it should recover.

> The enclosure must be added empty

Well, that depends on whom you talk to.

yes, the disk moved to "unmapped" folder. In this moment, is the EVA ok?, I'm Frightened and put out the first disk before 2 minutes.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The EVA can work fine even when all disks are visible in the unmapped folder - one should not make any changes at that moment but give the EVA some time to recover.