MSA Storage
1745874 Members
4386 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

How do I add a new enclosure to a P2000 G3?

Pielander
Occasional Contributor

How do I add a new enclosure to a P2000 G3?

Hi

We have a dual controller P2000 G3 and have just aquired another P2000 G3 enclosure.  I have yet to cable the 2 units together using the supplied SAS cables as I am unsure of the procedure.  The instructions imply that the enclosure can be hot-added but I am loathe to do this without checking first.  Is it best to power everything down before cabling them together and is there a correct order to do things?

Cheers! 

4 REPLIES 4
Cali
Honored Contributor

Re: How do I add a new enclosure to a P2000 G3?

Hello,

I have added enclosures to several P3000 G3 Online without problems.

Did you find this White Paper: "Technical white paper HP P2000: Adding additional storage to existing online systems
HP P2000 G3 MSA System"

But anyway, you have first to power on the Shelf, so that the Disks are Up and stable, before you add the SAS Cable.

Here is a Part sniped out of the White Paper:

Use the following steps to complete the upgrade:
1.  Install and mount the new enclosure with all drives installed.
2.  Ensure all enclosures are powered on and functioning properly (Verify this by using the Web interface).
3.  Connect the new SAS cable (Figure 3: “red” cable) from the A Port “Out” of the current P2000 storage system to the
A port “In” of the new storage enclosure.
4.  Allow the system a few moments to recognize the addition of the new storage shelf.
5.  Restart or reload the Web interface for the P2000 and verify that the system has recognized the new storage.
6.  Connect the new SAS cable (Figure 3: “green” cable) from the B port Out of the current P2000 storage system to the
B port “In” of the new storage enclosure.
7.  Allow the system a few moments to recognize the addition of the new ports.
8.  Ensure all Firmware is at the latest levels for all enclosures.
9.  Verify proper system operation by validating that all drives in the new enclosure are seen and that no drives in the
system are showing as single ported

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Pielander
Occasional Contributor

Thanks very much for this - it is what I was looking for.

Cheers!

gparker
Advisor

Hi, I'm about to add a nee disk enclosude to a P2000 G3. I saw your post but I can't locate the document "Technical white paper HP P2000: Adding additional storage to existing online systems HP P2000 G3 MSA System".

Are you sure I can add the new enclosure online?

Cali
Honored Contributor

Yes.

The Manual is no longer Online. :-(

There is a new one for MSA2040, this is techncal the same.

https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/4AA5-5032ENW.pdf?ver=Rev%201

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.