MSA Storage
1756543 Members
2979 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA 2052. A volume doen't discovered by Host Bus Adapter when connected via FC fabric

Alex_5347
Occasional Visitor

MSA 2052. A volume doen't discovered by Host Bus Adapter when connected via FC fabric

Hello,

We have

- HPE DL380 GEN10 hosts with HBA SN1100Q (Windows Server 2016)

- HPE FlexFabric 5930 with 24p QSFP+

- MSA 2052 8QFP+

The direct connection between Host and MSA is working well. LUN is mapped  to Host automatically.

The connection via switched fabric is not working.

MSA has the same configuraion of volume's mapping. Even it permits connection from any initiators.

We use single cables between host-switch and switch-msa for the moment without redundancy.

On switch zones are configured.

The Host and MSA are logged in to switch. (Checked via "fc login")

The Host and MSA are registered in Name-Service Database (checked via "fc name-service database") and provide correct FC4 parameters (initiator and initiator/target)

The QlogicConsole Application on Host presents correct  physical topology with all of participants: Host, Switch, and MSA controllers.

Nevertheless  there is no drive in Windows and the host have not been discovered in MSA GUI.

I guess there is some problem with obtaining information of resources on switch, but I don't know how to check this.

There are no events in logs. 

Thanks in advance.

Alex.

2 REPLIES 2
arun_r
HPE Pro

Re: MSA 2052. A volume doen't discovered by Host Bus Adapter when connected via FC fabric

Hi Alex,

Host server HBA wwn id should ideally get auto detected in MSA if zoning is configured properly and there is nothing much that could be configured at MSA end.

Please try the following:

1. Ensure that MSA controller host port wwn id and host server FC HBA wwn id shows up in SAN switch effective configuration.
2. Disable the switch port to which host server FC cable is connected and re-enable it.
3. Try connecting a different FC HBA port(if server has dual port FC HBA) to another MSA controller FC host port. MSA 2050 would have 4 FC host ports per controller
4. Change MSA FC host port topology to point to point:

Refer to page 56 of SMU guide:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00017707en_us

5. Check whether the topology is point to point in qlogic console in the host server.

Restarting the storage controller could also be tried as it will reset the host port link connectivity.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

arun_r
HPE Pro

Re: MSA 2052. A volume doen't discovered by Host Bus Adapter when connected via FC fabric

Hello Alex,

Can you please help us to understand if the issue got resolved or not?

If issue got resolved then how?

This will help everyone who are all following your forum.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo