1755742 Members
5240 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 2052 volumes sizes

wiggs
Occasional Contributor

MSA 2052 volumes sizes

What are the size reocmmendations for volumes in a hyper-v environment. Should we create one large volume and present to the hyper-v hosts then format smaller disks on the host, maybe have a volume on the MSA for vhd/x's? Or multiple smaller volumes around system needs? IE larger volume for file servers smaller for a dns server with no storage requirements? 

We have an MSA 2052 with 2 x SSDs and 6 HDD with FC connection into 2 x D360.

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

I would suggest you to go through the below technical paper and HPE MSA 2050/2052 storage and Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Implementation Guide,

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-a00038738en_us-1.pdf

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00015961enw

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hi,

When asking this type of question take into consideration what hardware you currently have now and what your future growth might be. With your current amount of drives, 2 SSDs and 6 HDDs, you are going to be limited with the size of the volumes you can present to your hosts. Making two Pools will further reduce your volume size which might not fit your current needs.

However, your future growth might be better suited to two pools which would load balance the host IO across both controllers. You may want to consider creating one pool now and in the future purchasing additional SSDs and HDDs to create another pool on the B controller. At that time you could also get a performance license to utilitze the SSDs in both pools.

Good luck!

Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

wiggs
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Subhajit our problem, we have looked and looked but there doesn't seem to be a recommendation that says, use one large volume for data because, or one small volume for vhd/x/s to protect against data growth using up space for server OS. My thoughts were to have one volume for the vhdx/s and one for the main file server and another for any data on other servers, mostly there would be nil as they are providing services not file serving. I could then expand volumes if I need with the remainder. However my work mate suggested one large volume is easier to manage then slice it up at the OS level.

Robert 

I would recommend to go with single Pool and single large Volume as your setup not so big. This will help you to get the Automatic tier feature which in turn will help to improve performance as well.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo