1755892 Members
4029 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA1060 SAS with two Vmware nodes on Cisco UCS C220 M5SX

jschul2
Occasional Visitor

MSA1060 SAS with two Vmware nodes on Cisco UCS C220 M5SX

Guys new to the this Device HPE MSA 1060 SAS. I have two hosts connected and they both can see the storeage.

I created two raid 6 volumes one on controller A and one on B and assigned them to these nodes in a nodes group. One machines can see the volumes and create Datastores no problem. The other ones can see the drives but when you go to create a datastore gives the following error. Any ideas? 

I have tickets open with HP and VMware 

Create Vmfs Datastore
Key

haTask-ha-host-vim.host.DatastoreSystem.createVmfsDatastore-694948972

Description

Creates a new VMFS datastore

State

Failed - An error occurred during host configuration.

Errors

• Operation failed, diagnostics report: Unable to create Filesystem, please see VMkernel log for more details: Failed to check device /dev/disks/naa.600c0ff000640df92fe15e6201000000:1 capable of ATS
4 REPLIES 4
jschul2
Occasional Visitor

Re: MSA1060 SAS with two Vmware nodes on Cisco UCS C220 M5SX

Think we figured this one out. The two boxes we were using have two different sas cards in them. first one is a

Cisco 9400-8E 12 GB SAS-HBA 

The secon one has a 

LSI 9380-8E the LSI card was the one that was giving us an issue. It's on the Vmware support list. Not sure if there is a list for the MSA106 I have been looking. 

Anyway swapped cards between hosts and the problem followed the card. 

Hope this helps someone in the future. 

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @jschul2,

I was thinking that the host is unable to create VMFS fylesystem because of pre-existing LUN partitions.
Thank you very much for confirming the resolution. This will be certainly helpful for those who may face similar issue in the future.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Prabha_Sengar
HPE Pro

Hi @jschul2,

Thank you for the confirmation.

Hope you may find these documents useful as well:

https://internal.support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=sf000074834en_us

https://internal.support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00105317en_us.

Regards,

I am an HPE Employee
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Accept or Kudo

JonPaul
HPE Pro

@jschul2 
Thanks for the additional information.  In the past, on other OSes, there have been issues as the SAS protocol typically does not connect to a shared storage device and deep in the 'registry' the HBA is identified as direct attached storage ONLY.  I am not that familiar with VMware 'registry' so sorry can't point directly where to look.
All tested HBAs for HPE storage devices are listed in SPOCK (Single Point Of Connectivity Knowledge) https://www.hpe.com/storage/spock   you will need an HPE passport to access.
Your HBAs are not listed, pretty much only HPE on HPE will be listed.

I work for HPE