1753502 Members
4836 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migrate DAS data to new MSA Connected SAN Array

Todd A Harris
Occasional Contributor

Migrate DAS data to new MSA Connected SAN Array

Is there a Software Solution to assist in migrating 400 Gig of data from my HP Direct Attached Storage Array to my new 2.7 TB SAN on a MSA 1500?
3 REPLIES 3
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Re: Migrate DAS data to new MSA Connected SAN Array

If you have an open scsi port on the 1500, and if your DAS shelf is an hp disk enclosure you can directly connect it, open the ACU and you should recognize the new disks and arrays that are on those disks.
NOTE: out of date firmware on disk can cause problems.
Otherwise, if no open scsi port, and not sufficient drive slots to just port the drives, you will need to copy over the ntwrk. HP used to list a Dts migration document under the msa pages that showed you how to do data migrations. I quickly searched the hp site but could no find it
Todd A Harris
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Thats kind of what I had been finding but I wanted to be sure it was the only way. I have a DAS array I am replacing with a SAN attached array and I need to move all of the data to the new drives. I will then attach the old array to the SAN and reprovision it for new duties. I am in the unfortunate position of having a "user drive" for each of my 450 users shared on the old drive array and I was looking for a little better way of moving each and every one, breaking the old share and recreating a new share on the new SAN system.
The MSA documentation led me to believe ther was a way to "migrate" the data in an automated fashion but I must have read more into it that was there.
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Well then! Y0u could...or is what your planning..to just move your users data in groups of users and repointing them to the new connection. That would be easiest and less risk than moving the whole fish and hoping you don't end up with a fish soup!