New Discussion юеВ

Re: P2000 G3: adding a new disk as spare fails

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bernd Schlaupitz
Occasional Advisor

P2000 G3: adding a new disk as spare fails

Hallo,

after I replaced a failed disk in the P2000 G3, I'm not able to defined the new disk a spare. Everytime I try to assign the disk a spare (select vdisk use manu Configuration > Manage Dedicated Spares) the procedure finished successfully (Message text: The vdisk spare settings were modified successfully.) and the disk is shown as "Spare".

But a few seconds later, the status if teh disk reverts back to AVAIL.

This is the same if I perform this action with the cli command (set spares disks 2.25 vdisk VDISK_D)

P2000G3_SPARE-Disk_Event_22-Nov-2019.JPG

Attached you find the Event Log.

Any suggestions?

I do not see anything wrong.

kind regards Bernd

3 REPLIES 3
Navaneetha1
HPE Pro

Bernd ,

From the screen shot and details shared. I see that you have configured disk 2:25 as dedicated spare. Further events reports there are no spares and the disk 2:25 has failed.

Please let me know if you have tried using another hard drive , configuring as Dedicated spare and is the issue same. Also , please share the MSA firmware details.

I am an HPE Employee.

The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello Bernd,

I have seen this type of behavior before where you add a new drive in as a spare, the spare gets assigned to the Vdisk, reconstruction starts, and then the spare fails. If your drive is actually a new drive that is not a bad drive, then your problem could be at the vdisk level. Without a full log review this will be difficult to troubleshoot in a forum.

There is a possibility that the vdisk has an internal RAID level error. During the reconstruction the raid error is encountered which results in the new (spare) drive getting failed out. If you have access to the vdisk I suggest an immediate backup. Verify the data in the backup and then look towards other options. You can open a support case and have them review the logs to determine further recovery efforts. There is likely another drive(s) that is also bad which is preventing your reconstruction from being successful.

You will need to gather a fresh set of store.logs, then please open a support case with HPE Support using the following web link, if the unit is under warranty: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home

If the unit is out of warranty, you can open a chat support case with HPE using the following web link to check for options: https://pg-receiver-pro.glb.itcs.hpe.com/WCLWeb/WCLEntry.aspx

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Bernd Schlaupitz
Occasional Advisor
Solution

The problem is solved now.

After a complete restart of the Storage (all controllers and all attached boxes), the VDisk acceoted the new Spare Disk without any error.

Thanks all for their replies.

kind regards Bernd