1757278 Members
2950 Online
108860 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Rebuilding Disk Groups on a active MSA 2050 storage array

KBEZ
Established Member

Rebuilding Disk Groups on a active MSA 2050 storage array

We need to rebuild the disk groups on one of our MSA 2050 storage systems. The storage have 2 disk groups currently configured as RAID 6+2. We have to rebuild the disk groups as RAID 10+2. There is active volumes on the array. Is there a way that the disk groups can be rebuild without losing data?

3 REPLIES 3

@KBEZ 

There is no option to modify RAID from existing VDG. So it's better to take data backup, delete all VDG and Volumes. Then re-create VDG and volumes as per new RAID and then restore data from backup. This is better and easy approach.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi,

MSA 2050 does not support RAID type migration of a disk group.

If you have spare slots and additional hard drives , you could create RAID 10 disk groups under the same Pool.

RAID 6 disk groups could then be deleted.

Any data in RAID 6 disk group will be migrated to other disk groups once disk group deletion is initiated. This is a very slow process (vdrain) and cannot be interrupted.

The new disk group created should have enough space to accommodate the data in RAID 6 disk group.

The easiest method is to take data back up, delete the RAID6 disk group/Pool, create new RAID 10 disk group and restore from back up as suggested by Subhajit.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi,

To add on, if both disk groups are under single Pool, you could try to delete one of the RAID 6 disk groups so that the vdrain gets initiated.

This has the pre-requisite that the disk group 1 has enough free space to accommodate the data in disk group 2.

I would suggest to log a support case to check the configuration and free space if disk group deletion is planned.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo