MSA Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Disk Problem

 
CA878053
Occasional Visitor

Strange Disk Problem

I have created multiple Raid 0+1 configurations using the Element Manager Appliance. The raidset consists of 6 72 GB drives divided into three mirrorsets. The element manager reports the capacity of the array at around 210 GB's, however, when I present the LUN to a server, the server, through disk management (WIN2K) sees the array as around 340 GB's. Anyone seen that before or am I missing something?
4 REPLIES 4
BR680056
Occasional Visitor

Re: Strange Disk Problem

From the capacity that's reported it sounds like the 6 disks are configured in RAID5.

...so I would double-check that configuration.

Another (more farfetched) possibility is if the RAID-set is using virtual sizing and reporting a bigger than actual size. Then one must take care to only partition/format the space that's actually there.

Cheers,
Rune
it is in working with the impossible that the limits of the possible are determined...
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Strange Disk Problem

Rune,
ask I see from Dan's words he has 3 disks in 0/1 stripe by 3 disks, so 210GB is correct for 6*72GB (~420GB).
Do you know if array uses compression? Or virtualization keeping some data in packed state or in another RAID level?
Eugeny
CA878053
Occasional Visitor

Re: Strange Disk Problem

Thank you both for responding to my question. Yes, I have checked the configuration, it sounds like it is configured as RAID 5, it is not, it is RAID 0+1. I confirmed this through a VT 100 session straight to the controller. Three raidsets make up one stripeset which makes up the array. The element manager reports capacity as 210GB but it is being seen by the hosts as 350GB. This is what has me so confused. The controllers are HSG80's so there is no virtualization. In addition, I am not using compression on the server side for the partitions.
CA878053
Occasional Visitor

Re: Strange Disk Problem

Just an update. I worked with a HP storageworks engineer and he helped me fix the problem. Basically I had to run the DILX command on all the drives. Once that was done I was able to recreate the 0 + 1 raidsets and when I presented them to the host they showed up correctly.