MSA Storage
1755973 Members
3702 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Which MSA 2062 iSCSI IP do I configure in initiator?

JDDellGuy
Occasional Contributor

Which MSA 2062 iSCSI IP do I configure in initiator?

Hello,

I have an MSA 2062 SAN which is replacing a P4000 SAN.

With the P4000 SAN, our ESXi Cluster hosts targeted a "Virtual IP" that automatically handled fault tolerance and load balancing  for the network connections.  If a particular NIC went down, etc., the Virtual IP sinply didn't respond from that NIC as far as I can tell.

However, with the MSA 2062 SAN, I don't see a Virtual IP configuration or anything similar.  So my question is, from the ESXi Hosts, which of the MSA 2062 IP addresses do I specify?  There are four IP addresses - two per controller.  How do I specify a target IP that is fault tolerant if a connection to a specific SAN NIC with a specific IP goes down for whatever reason?

Also, I have both IPs on both controllers configured in the same subnet.  Is this fine?  It seems like from the documentation that I shoudl be setting them up on separate subnets, but I'm not clear on why that would be necessary.

2 REPLIES 2
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

MSA2062 is not like P4000 it deos not have a virtual IP so you should configure all 4

IP's in your VMware ISCSI dynamic discovery.

Also you can configure the 4 IP's on the same subnet that is OK.  in that case if your VMware host has 2 ISCSI ip's 

they should be in the same vSwitch with each VMkernel linked to one physical network adapter. and also

you will have to bind both VMkernels in the ISCSI properties.

or you can use 2 separate subnets in that case you will have to separate yor VMkernel adapters to 2 separate

vSwitches. both methods are OK. you can read about it in VMware documentation.

Remember to change the VMware storage policy to round robin.

Regards

Give a KUDO if this helps

sashavl
Regular Visitor

Let vSphere/ESXi to do path fault tolerance (basically multipath) and loadbalance with MSA. ESX basically checks if IO's are "going through" one path, and if not it sends them through another (if avalaible) and mark that path with "Active (I/O)";  Also you can specify if you want it to do "round-robin" (to use more then one path at the same-time) and it's parameters (how many Io's to send per one path after which switch to another)