108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NetServer hardware profile

SOLVED
Go to solution
Greg Smith_10
Advisor

NetServer hardware profile

On the UNIX based HP9000's you can run an "ioscan" to get a snapshot of the current hardware configuration. Is there a similar command on the NetServers? I'm sure you can find all this info using the Navigator CD, but I just want to take a look while the server is online.

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I'm new to working with NetServers.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Re: NetServer hardware profile

Greg,

On the newer netservers, LH3/4 and beyond, you can install Instant Top Tools for most NOS's and see your configuration, access your Hardware Event Log and see fw levels.

Since I don't know what server or NOS you are running, just go here http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
and search on your server. It is a horrible search engine, so you must have a space between the letters and numbers of the server to find the links. LC 2000 works for a search, LC2000 does not.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Greg,

What is the model of your server?

Amha
Greg Smith_10
Advisor

Greg: Thanks for your response. I'll read-up more on the TopTools and give it a try.
Thanks!

Amha: FYI, it's an LH4.

Greg
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Greg,

Here is the link for the LH4 downloads for Windows 2000. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?locale=en_US&pnameOID=15383&taskId=135&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50450&submit.y=0&submit.x=0тМй=en&cc=us&swEnvOID=181

The ITT also works with RH also. It does not require a reboot when you install it, nor does it install any intrusive agents.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Greg Smith_10
Advisor

Thanks again! I'll give it a try.
Greg
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Greg,

assuming this LH4 is running Windows and without a need to add additional s/w you can always rely on the devicemap information in the registry, since this gives you the \scsi bus and port numbers like they are sometimes referred to in certain s/w and also in error messages in the Eventlog.

The device map can be saved in a text file this way:

- start 'regedit'
- open the HKLM\hardware\devicemap\SCSI key
- do a Registry, Export Registry File and
save it in a .txt format

This way you can look offline to the current I/O map of your server.

Attached is a example of a LH4 with a fairly large devicemap since this one has two fibre channel cards and a path failover software filter driver that is seen as a additional SCSI port (by design) and lots of LUNs on the external storage arrays (normally devicemaps are much smaller).

Pls note that local IDE controllers and devices like i.e. the IDE cdrom are also categorized under \SCSI but they are not SCSI devices.

You'll also notice the logical drives from the embedded Netraid controller.
Since it requires no additonal s/w, this is usable accross any Windows server or pc.

hth

Kris

Greg Smith_10
Advisor

Thanks Kris. Great info for a general snapshot of the system! Between this and the other help I've received I'd say I'm all set.

Greg