Netservers
1756016 Members
4433 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netserver E60 won't boot from W2K boot floppy.

Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Try to install a different operating system, such as DOS or NT Server 4.0. We need to determine if this is really a hardware or software problem. If you still have problems I need the server configuration:
1. What memory is installed
2. What hard drives.
3. If any PCI cards are installed
4. Can you access Ctr-A and run a VERIFY on the hard drives?
The fact that you can boot from the BIOS update diskette but not the Windows 2000 diskette appears to point to a software problem. So we need to try a different OS to see what happens.

Might try clearing CMOS - then see if server will boot from the Windows 2000 Disk # 1(only Disk 1 is bootable). But again, if this does not work need to try DOS or other OS.

To clear the CMOS configuration.
a. Turn the server off and unplug it. Take the case off.
b. Locate the set of system switches on the motherboard.
c. Move Switch #4 CLEAR CONFIG to the opposite position.
d. Power up the server. You will see a configuration error. The server will stop at this error.
e. Turn the server off, unplug it. Move Switch #4 back to the original position.
f. Power up the server. The BIOS program must be run to reconfigure the server (F2 for BIOS setup, then F9 for factory defaults, F10 to save & exit).
PDarmanin
Frequent Advisor

thanks Terri for your reply,

i will try to clear the cmos and to install NT4 tommorrow. i let u know of any results.

thanks a Lot,

Pierre
PDarmanin
Frequent Advisor

Hi Terri,
i have found the problem. it was one of the 3 ram modules there where installed in the server. i tried to install red hat and it failed causing dump so i tried to install using different ram configurations until it worked.
the funniest thing is that the server was working fine on win NT and never reported errors from the HP Diagnostic. but any way thanks for your help.

Pierre