SOLVED
Go to solution
Akshay44
Frequent Advisor

Generate Linkdown or Linkup trap using ifconfig

Hi,
I have tried doing a
ifconfig lan0 down

on a HP-UX system, I was hoping that this would generate a linkdown trap to snmpdm.

But this does not appear to happen.
Does ifconfig lan0 down generate a linkdown trap?
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution, If you are satisfied with anyoneтАЩs response please remember to give them a KUDOS and show your appreciation
3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Generate Linkdown or Linkup trap using ifconfig

Connect to the switch and disable the port - this will probably generate what you want to see.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Solution

>> Does ifconfig lan0 down generate a linkdown trap?

No. because ifconfig is only for configuring TCP/IP which is further up the stack from the physical link layer...

So as torsten says, diabling the port on the switch may be your best bet...

It's possible that causing the lan card to reset (either using lanadmin or nwmgr on 11.31) might generate a linkdown (but maybe not!)

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Akshay44
Frequent Advisor

@Torsten
Nice trick, till now I had to manually unplug the cable to do this. Will talk with my network admin and see if I can access the switch.

@Ducan
Thank you for the information. Looks like it is going to be a long walk to the device, every time I want to test the linkdown trap.

I have tried reseting the lan card with nwmgr, no linkdown.

I was using lanscan and ifconfig, nwmgr is going to be added to by bag of tricks, thank you!
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution, If you are satisfied with anyoneтАЩs response please remember to give them a KUDOS and show your appreciation