Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Networking
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping not returns but ssh/telnet works fine

SOLVED
Go to solution
GizemIremKozan
Occasional Contributor

Ping not returns but ssh/telnet works fine

Hi there,

I have 2 HP-UX on same subnet and having a problem on one about ping. I'll call them as hp01 hp02.

hp01 can ping hp02 (ping says %100 transmitted)
hp01 can ssh/telnet hp02
hp02 can ssh/telnet hp01
hp02 cannot ping hp01 (ping says %100 packet loss)

There I thought of ndd commands, and set "ip_forwarding" as it could be the cause but it still didn't affect to behave normally.

I don't know if this problem exists since the installations.

Any ideas about what it could be?

Thanks

2 REPLIES
Dave Olker
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Ping not returns but ssh/telnet works fine

Are either system running IP Filter or any other software-based firewall programs that might be denying ICMP traffic?  Since ssh/telnet work, I assume hostname resolution is not the issue.  Likely don't need to verify with linkloop either since ssh/telnet are working. 

Have you tried collecting a network trace on both systems during the ping failure to see if the ICMP requests are making it to the remote system and if any attempt at a reply is on the wire?

Dave

GizemIremKozan
Occasional Contributor

Re: Ping not returns but ssh/telnet works fine

Ok, found some strange ipfilter enabled on the troubled hp01 coming with the installation; flushed it.

ipf -Fa
ipfstat -io
>empty

Isn't that strange that? I'm glad not to work with that tcpdump version of hpux. thanks,