Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Networking
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProCurve 2524: trunking and configuration

Ivan Leong
Occasional Contributor

ProCurve 2524: trunking and configuration

I have six pieces of ProCurve 2524; let's call them S1 to S6. Various servers and machines connect to these switches. All switches use the latest firmware: F.02.13

I also have a ProCurve 2424M; let's call this S0. This L2 switch serves as the uplink to the 2524s. In other words, Internet connect to 2424M connect to 6x2524.

Here's how I'm trying to connected these 7 switches.

Part 1: S3-S0-S4
Part 2: S1-S2-S3-S4-S5-S6

In Part 1, S3-S0 is a 2 x 100Mbps full-duplex trunks; S0-S4 is a single 100Mbps conection.
In Part 2, each link between the switches are 2 x 100Mbps full-duplex trunks.

Question #1
Looking at S2, there are two sets of trunks, one to S1, another to S3. How do I configure 2 sets of trunks in a switch? While every documentation I see says up to 10 static trunks are allowed, I can only use "trk1". "trkX" where X=2 to 10, gives a syntax error!

Question #2
How do I configure S3 and S4, such that the six 2524 switches get an aggregate 300Mbps full-duplex uplink to S0?
2 REPLIES

Re: ProCurve 2524: trunking and configuration

While the 2424M switch supports a maximum of ten trunks, the 2524 switch only supports one trunk. You may consider using the 2424M switch as the core switch with all the 2524's connected to it using a single trunk group.
Ivan Leong
Occasional Contributor

Re: ProCurve 2524: trunking and configuration

Thank you for the reply.

If the 2524 supports only one trunk per switch, why

a) there is no mention of this limitation in all the documentation (@hp search, 2524 doc, etc) that I can find.

b) 2524 firmware help function (by pressing TAB) says the trunk command syntax is

trunk [type ]

------

Given my setup of six 2524 switches, what is my best topology setup to achieve high bandwidth and redundancy (secondary priority)?