New Discussion юеВ

Re: Source quench received from ping

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alan Casey
Trusted Contributor

Source quench received from ping

We have a client server system, with database on hp-ux 11.0

A few days ago some users reported problems connecting, they were freezing.
A ping from the affected pc's showed "Source quench received" returned. This was NOT returned from PC's that were not affected when run at the same time.

All the connections were going to the same IP address, and same network card, just some of them had issues.

Any advice on what might be the cause, can't find any errors on the hpux box, and suspect it might be network related.
4 REPLIES 4
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Hi,
You can get rid of this messsage by doing:

# ndd -get /dev/ip ip_send_source_quench

If it returns 1 then try setting it to 0

# ndd -set /dev/ip ip_send_source_quench 0

But you need to find out why this is happening. Have a look at this link below.

http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/896/8.htm

Hope that helps.
Regards,

You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Dwyane Everts_1
Honored Contributor

Alan,

I had this same issue start occurring several months ago on one of my systems. And through all the t-shooting, I never found the culprit.... Through various research, it was suggested that the ping response was being received faster than the HP-UX system could handle it. Has something (network-related) changed recently?

Dwyane
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Alan,

A source quench received message usually comes from a router in the path the ping was headed.
They do this when they start to become saturated with traffic. They deal with the saturation by starting to discard "low-priority" traffic of which ICMP traffic is one of the first. Ping uses ICMP traffic.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Alan Casey
Trusted Contributor

Thanks guys,

I agree and think that this is a network related issue, but our network guys dont agree.

Well I have disables the Source quench messages from the server, and in the event of a recurrance of these problems I have asked our network guys to check for these messages to identify the problem as not being server related.

Thanks again, and Jeff u get 10 points as I used the text of your reply in my email update on the issue.

Thanks again everyone.
Alan