Networking
1752692 Members
5593 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

XP networking nightmare

Beno

XP networking nightmare

Ever since we upgraded the network in our office to XP pro workstations (25 seats) and Win2000 server, Cisco router - 100MBit, things aren't running smoothly any longer. Let me describe the problem:
If you're trying to open a folder on the server, files don't open immediately, instead Explorer just hangs and you can't do anything for 5 or 10 seconds, sometimes up to a minute. Once the folder is open, going to sub-directories is a snap. If you close explorer and open a new one - problem repeats itself.
Same applies when printing to network printers from Word or plotting from Autocad. Veeeeery sticky and slow. Machine just freezes up and you can't do anything with it for up to 5 minutes. After that the app will either print or the error message will appear saying that there's a possible security compromise on the server. Bu#$.
It can't be permissions related problem since all workstations have administrative privileges.
We had several engineers checking on the problem and they tried different protocols, fixed IP, dynamic IP, TCP/IP, etc, etc. Nothing seems to be improving our case.
We have all the latest patches - the urgent and recommended ones - it all seems that our WinXP networking issue isn't isolated. Too many people are complaining about it.

Surely the supposedly most advanced operating system from Microsoft doesn't have this totally annoying problems without solutions...?

I'd like to say 'I'm giving up' but simply can't afford it. This problem must be solved, one way or another.

any help of course would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Beno
1 REPLY 1
Rune J. Winje
Honored Contributor

Re: XP networking nightmare

I see in groups.google.com that in a similar case this solved it:
____
Re: 10 Minutes To Open Network Share
Disable WebClient in services.msc If that does not solve, see if you
can access the network in safe mode and then start disabling other
services.
Jack
I disabled WebClient on both machines and now the Laptop resolves file
shares with the Desktop instantly
Regards,
blariz
____

Anyway disabling services you don't need is always a good thing.

Another couple of general suggestions would be to:
a) check your DNS for correct operation (both simple and recursive DNS test on a Win2K server (DNS server properties, monitoring) should pass instantly).
b) connect a client and the server to a simple hub to rule out topology/router port/config problems on the Cisco.

Cheers,
Rune