1748073 Members
5262 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: why I can not reboot my linux?

SOLVED
Go to solution

why I can not reboot my linux?

My linux have one oracle but down today, I can not shutdown the oracle even kill the process, neither shutdown the linux for reboot,like this:"shutdown -r now", no affect but only set message.

how to kill the process or just force to reboot?

thanks in advance
Frederick van targero
9 REPLIES 9

Dear all, I check the previous question about this, for I remember that I have asked similar question, (Alas, it is the same machine once again), but got not resolve way. first of all, I know how to shutdown the oracle, i use "shutdown abort", and it useless, however, I need it to work again ASAP, and unfortunately, I have to drive hundreds miles to reset it, it I have to do.

so I am in trouble.

Frederick van targero
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

can you kill oracle with "kill -9" ? You say you cant... are you root ?

the "shutdown -r" must not be working cause it is waiting for some process (maybe oracle) to shutdown first.

as long as I can not "shutdown -r now", I use killall -9 oracle, however, once I
ps -A |grep orace, all they been there just like nothing happen

fredeirck
Hoefnix
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If Oracle is not willing to shutdown? Can you still log on as oracle user and try to connect with svrmgrl to the oracle instance.
Then connect internal and do a shutdown abort.

If that does the trick you should be able to shutdown your linux system.

HTH,
Peter
Hoefnix
Honored Contributor

Sorry, did not read you second post complete, so ignore mine. You already know how to do the oracle shutdown.

Regards,
Peter
Josef Forman
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi,
i think "killall -9 oracle" will not kill oracle processes. These processess are running under user oracle, but they have different name.

PF

ok, I will try "kill -9 xxxx", thanks anyway

Fredierck
Jan Sladky
Trusted Contributor

hi Fred,

try ps -u oracle and see what processes are running, than kill procceses like *smon* *dbwr* *logwr* and next .I don't remeber exact names but it will be something like this

hope this will help you

br Jan
GSM, Intelligent Networks, UNIX
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

try this command (as root):

/sbin/reboot -if

this will force reboot the system. it will also first bring down the network interfaces and sync the disks (so you should not lose any data).