Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase RAM limit of 64 mb on Compaq 2256??

Dan_278
Occasional Visitor

Increase RAM limit of 64 mb on Compaq 2256??

Does anyone know if and/or how to increase the RAM limit on this Compaq 2256. It is running WIN98 (1st edition), I think, (Build 4.10.1998). It is the originnal chipset, etc,; 300 Mg AMD K6-2 processor and BIOS; Compaq 6.0005/21/98. Is there a easy tweak or upgrade to make this thing run 256 mb RAM, or should I just toss that damn thing.
7 REPLIES
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Increase RAM limit of 64 mb on Compaq 2256??

Dan:

It looks like you can't go beyond 64MB RAM. See:

http://www.memoryx.net/presario2256.html

Sorry!

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Maybe this will help. Win98 should function ok with 64Mb:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=92288〈=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=20&docname=c00004195

just a thought
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Dan_278
Occasional Visitor

Thanks guys, but I was hoping to find a way to FORCE the machine to take more RAM without major overhaul, like new processor, or motherboard, etc. Would anyone else care to try. I can always load WIN98 2nd, it will handle more RAM, but I do not know if the hardware will allow it. I ran Belarc advisor, and it said the max was 132 or some thing like that, that's what prompted the question. I hate to trash the thing if I can speed it up enough to use the new larger programs, i.e., MS Office 2000, etc.

I would appreciate a definitive answer.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Dan:

All motherboards have a defined maximum amount of RAM which, typically, cannot be exceeded. A rare exception occurs when a piece of memory is released after the motherboard specs have been formulated and that new piece of memory is compatible with that motherboard. I'll take a quick look to see if I can find any evidence of that for your system and re-post. Don't hold your breath, however.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Dan:

I tried to contact HP about this but I never got a reply. Try this link to send e-mail to HP about this issue and see what you get back from them:

http://wwemail.support.hp.com/fd2/EmailForm?countrycode=us&langcode=en&sni=compaqpres96354

HTH

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Karen_75
Occasional Visitor

Dan, I am having the exact same thing happen? Did you ever find out if you can upgrade? I am getting ready to hook my mother up to SBC DSL this weekend and I need more memory first for her Compaq 2256!!! HELP!!
Dan_278
Occasional Visitor

Karen,
I gave up and bought a new puter.

Dan