Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Network Scan Utility NOT NetBIOS-Based

Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

We are not running NetBIOS, LMHOSTS, WINS, or domains (all standalone PCs).

All clients are winXP.

I would like to enter an IP address range (for instance 10.133.12.*) and get returned the MAC address and ‘Host Name’ of each PC in the subnet.

The closest utility I have found is Colasoft MAC Scanner. It gives me the MAC address of each IP address, but for ‘Host Name’, it gives me the NAT address. What I need is the ‘Host Name’ which you get when 'IPCONFIG /all' is run, for instance:

C:\WINDOWS>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NEIU-81233

What I get from Colasoft MAC Scanner is:

10.133.12.160, 00:0B:DB:4E:B8:C1, nat-12-160.neiu.edu

In the example above, NEIU-81233 is the name I gave to that particular PC when windows was installed.

Is it possible to get what I am looking for?

It appears to me that the windows ‘Host Name’ has been essentially replaced by the NAT address, as far as network scanning is concerned. So is what I am trying to do impossible?

TIA – J.

check Facebook
2 REPLIES
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Need Network Scan Utility NOT NetBIOS-Based

The NAT address is obtained via DNS?

You can create a batch script to run ping -a and arp to identify machines. Does ping -a returns the correct hostname?

nmap is a good tool also.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

Re: Need Network Scan Utility NOT NetBIOS-Based

nmap will be quite useful, but not with this particular problem.

I think that because of the way my network is NATed, and without netbios, what I am trying to do can't be done.

J.
check Facebook