Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pavilion a1467c - How to install IIS without an OS CD?

b a davis
Occasional Visitor

Pavilion a1467c - How to install IIS without an OS CD?

How do I install Windows Components - such as IIS - on a system bought with a preloaded OS, but NO Windows CD?
During the install it wants the XP CD-ROM inserted to copy the files from. I don't have a CD, nor is there an archive folder on the hard disk.

Any ideas??

(The system was shipped with MediaCenter05/ Win XP SP2. I've since upgraded to SP3)

thanks

2 REPLIES
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Pavilion a1467c - How to install IIS without an OS CD?

If you still have the SP3 file and its name is windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe, then create a folder in the root of C: and name it sp3, then execute the following command: windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe -x:c:\sp3

When finished extracting, there should exist c:\sp3\i386 containing the extracted files. Now you should be able to use Add/Remove Programs, Windows Components to add IIS and point it to that i386 folder. (If you have another i386 folder in the root of C:, you may want to get rid of it (unless its an SP3 i386, in which case you can install IIS from it)).

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
b a davis
Occasional Visitor

Re: Pavilion a1467c - How to install IIS without an OS CD?

Excellent, it worked perfectly!
Many thanks!