Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

printing to a dos application

Robert Urie
Occasional Visitor

printing to a dos application

We need to redirect a dos print job to a virtual lpt1 port using a jetdirect 500x. I need to use a net use command but do not know the syntax. The jet direct has a ip but I am not sure of the printer name.
1 REPLY
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

Re: printing to a dos application

Hmm, not sure you can print direct to a jetdirect printer from DOS without installing the drivers. Someone may prove me wrong! It's been a while since I used DOS, but here's a workaround:

1. Install the jetdirect printer as a windows printer on your local machine itself. If your machine isn't actually windows, then find a machine that is and install it there.
2. Share that printer in Windows.
3. Run the following command:

net use lpt1 \\{printer share machine name}\{printer name}

This should succeed, if you type "net use", it will show you the connected devices:

C:\Documents and Settings\michaelw>net use
New connections will not be remembered.

Status Local Remote Network

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK LPT1 \\roc\apple Microsoft Windows Network
The command completed successfully.

If this solution is not good, then I believe if you wish to connect remotely to a jetdirect printer you need to install the Print Services for UNIX on a Windows machine and copy the lpr/lp/lpstat command to the dos box, which should then enable you to print directly to the IP Address