1748219 Members
4432 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

A DECWindows question

Winson_1
Occasional Advisor

A DECWindows question

Greeting, we’re running an Alpha DS25 v8.2 and getting this error, “%DECW$DEVICE-I-NODEVICE, no graphics devices found” when starting up DECWindows software. We have no intention of running a GUI windows (~DECWindows) on the local/console end and would not need a video graphic card to startup DECWindows services, correct?

Thanks,
Winson
11 REPLIES 11
ConwayS

Re: A DECWindows question

You don't need a graphics terminal. Put "
$ define/system/execDECW$IGNORE_WORKSTATION true" into SYLOGICALS.COM or SYSTARTUP.COM to make the message stop.

You might want to change the console variable called "console" from graphics to serial.

Steve

John Abbott_2
Esteemed Contributor

You can turn off DECwindows from SYSGEN, parameter WINDOW_SYSTEM (set to 0)

Just incase you're not aware, best to put this is SYS$SYSTEM:MODPARAMS.DAT add the line WINDOW_SYSTEM=0 when you next run or are forced to run AUTOGEN (comment it too!)

You can manually change it for the next reboot by

$ MC SYSGEN
SYSGEN> USE CURRENT
SYSGEN> SET WINDOW_SYSTEM 0
SYSGEN> SHO .
SYSGEN> WRITE CURRENT

Of course there are other ways too.

Kind Regards
John.
Don't do what Donny Dont does
ConwayS

Forget system parameter WINDOW_SYSTEM, starting with DECwindows V1.2-3. It has no effect on anything.

Steve
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

DECW$DEVICE-I-NODEVICE

is an informational message not an error.

If you don't want decwindows to start put
$ DEFINE/SYSTEM DECW$IGNORE_DECWINDOWS 1
in SYS$MANAGER:SYLOGICALS.COM

Setting the system parameter WINDOW_SYSTEM to 0
no longer works to stop DEC Windows from starting as (if the above logical is not set) the DECWindows startup 'helpfully' corrects the system parameter for you.

It's not 'helpfull' - it is a deliberate bug and the people who are responsible for this are not willing to change it !! (as reported on comp.os.vms quite some time ago)
Winson_1
Occasional Advisor

Basically what I'm trying to accomplish here is to have GUI / DEC windows on the remote end. On the local/console end I only have a terminal emulator to the Alpha (no video card). I installed AXPVMS DWMOTIF v1.5, setup WINDOW_SYSTEM to 1 in SYSGEN and reboot system. Anyone knows what else I need to enable on the Alpha. On the PC end I'm running WRQ Reflection X.
Thomas Ritter
Respected Contributor

Winson,
You need to set a display to your PC
Something like this
On the VMS node
$ set term/displ/create/trans=tcpip/node="your_ip_address"
$ software/inter=decw
Where software is an application that supports decwindows.

You must be running the X Client of Reflections.

ca750090
Frequent Advisor

Steve,

Setting the console variable to "serial" won't make a difference for this. I have come across this on one of my own systems at home, also running OpenVMS 8.2.
Winson_1
Occasional Advisor

Got it working..