108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

AMDS vs Availability Manager

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bart Zorn_1
Trusted Contributor

AMDS vs Availability Manager

I am already complaining for years that Availability Manager is missing the most important feature of AMDS: the System Overview window. Availability Manager can only display one group at a time.

Up to OpenVMS V8.2 that was not really a problem: I used AMDS. Now that I have the first systems running V8.2 I found out that there is no AMDS$VMSAXP-V82.LIB file, with as consequence that V8.2 systems cannot be displayed in AMDS!

Availability Manager would probably be qualified as bloatware by VAXman and rightfully so. It takes a huge amount of resources (both memory and CPU) thanks to java. AMDS, being a DECwindows application is much more efficient.

Using an old Alphastation as Availability Manager station is simply impossible.

Personally I find this unacceptable.

Anyone care to comment?

Regards,

Bart Zorn
20 REPLIES 20
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Re: AMDS vs Availability Manager

Bart,

Wholeheartedly agreed!

Perhaps you can open an issue via HP advocacy? Be assured you get my "I Agree"!

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Bart Zorn_1
Trusted Contributor

I have added an "I agree" on issue 1572 from Andy Park, with a comment that this is getting urgent because AMDS does not display V8.2 systems.

Bart
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

There is a feedback form on
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/availman/questions.html

I think AMDS will not gain a V8.2 file but there is work going on to improve Availability Manager. A new version is due soon.

Thanks Ian.

I have submitted a comment on that site.

We will see what a new version will bring. But because it will still be written in java, no improvement on resource usage can be expected.

Bart
Jeffrey Goodwin
Frequent Advisor

In addition to the one group at a time issue, the Availability Manager display is extremely network intensive. We monitor multiple clusters worldwide. I can't even get the AM splashscreen up over our WAN in a reasonable amount of time, never mind using AM to correct an issue.

I've spoken about this until I'm blue in the face. All I've gotten from HP is a weak excuse that "AM is what our customers are asking for". If you're such a customer that is demanding HP eliminate AMDS in favor of AM, I wish you'd fess up. :)

I can live with AMDS without additional features. It would be very simple for HP to provide the proper Alpha/Itanium V8.2+ libraries for AMDS.

This is just one more irritating move by HP that is sadly going to eventually drive my company away from HP and OpenVMS.

-Jeff

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Bart,

somehow I have not (yet?) been able to get to "issue 1572" to add my "I agree".
I did enter a request to continue AMDS to the AM feedback page.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Michael Kloth
Occasional Advisor

HP Openview is now also available for OpenVMS (minimum version : V7.3-2).
Wouldn't this be a replacement for AMDS ?
Bart Zorn_1
Trusted Contributor

Michael,

I am not really familiar with HP OpenView, but are you familiar with AMDS?

AMDS is (still) a standard part of OpenVMS and as such comes without additional cost. OpenView is definitely not free and therefore not a reasonable replacement, regardless of its features.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway!

Bart Zorn
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor
Solution

Bart,

If you copy amds$vmsaxp-v732.lib to amds$vmsaxp-v82.lib, you will get a couple of error messages on amds startup, and the sub windows don't work, but the overview window works perfectly.

Been running this way for a long time.
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.