108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Allow user to access cluster

SOLVED
Go to solution
owilliams
Frequent Advisor

Allow user to access cluster

I hope I explain this correctly. I need a user I create to access all 3 nodes in a cluster. I can create the user on only one node. How can I create the user an account on the other 2 nodes? New to VMS any help is appreciated!
21 REPLIES 21
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: Allow user to access cluster

You may be ready already.

Once the username is created into the cluster-common SYSUAF.DAT it can be used on all nodes.

>> I can create the user on only one node.

What bring you to this conclusion. What is the (non)-problem that you see? Be detailed. include EXACT (cut & paste) commands and error messages if needed.

Did you try accessing the other nodes?
What mechanism? Telnet? 'SET HOST'? Application controlled (eg Oracle, ftp,...)

hth,
Hein.

Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

If your cluster is using common account files, the default would be for the account to be available on all members of the cluster.

Is there some reason why you believe that the user cannot use other members of the cluster?

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
owilliams
Frequent Advisor

I tried accessing by Telnet and Set host. I get a user authorization error.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

More information is needed, but if you can login using one of the nodes and not the others , it is possible that one or more of the nodes is not using the common account file.

There are also other possibilities. More information about your system configuration is needed to be definitive.

- Are you using any special authentication mechanisms?
- Where are the UAF files for each member of the cluster located

There are also a variety of accidental mis-configurations that could be the cause of the problem. Have any changes been made to the cluster configuration recently?

If you can give us the information, we can attempt to troubleshoot this problem in this forum. If it is more complex, or it can not be addressed in the forum, a consultant with system management experience could sort out the problem [Disclosure: Our firm does provide such services, as do several other active members of the community].

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Do you have a common system disk for the cluster? If you do not, then you will need to do something special to make sure all members are accessing a common set of security files (at least SYSUAF and RIGHTSLIST)

If you don't know the answer to that question, please do the following:

Please provide output from:

$ mcr sysman set environment/cluter
SYSMAN> do show logical sys$sysdevice/full
SYSMAN> do show logical sys$common/ful
SYSMAN> do show logical sys$specific/ful
SYSMAN> do show logical sysuaf/full
SYSMAN> do show logical rightslist/full
SYSMAN> do directory/file sysuaf
SYSMAN> do directory/file rightslist

As the others have said, the sympoms are consistent with non-shared authorization/rightslist files.

These normally will be in the SYS$COMMON:[SYSEXE] directory. In almost all cases, you want these to be using the same files from every cluster node, because from a security standpoint, the cluster is "the system".

The common files don't have to be in sys$common:, but they should be using the same files on each node in the cluster.

The output of the last two directory commands will have a file ID, if these are not the same on the all nodes, then you are not using a common set. Even if they are the same, they could be on different devices, therefore the other show logical commands.

Probably best if you cut and paste the output to a notepad text file and attach, as the output will be easier to read in a fixed width font.

Jon
it depends
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

It appears likely that there is either something else going on here with the network, or with the particular local system configuration, or (fairly common, in my experience) that the particular cluster is mis-configured.

On OpenVMS V7.2 and later, look at the contents of the SYLOGICALS.TEMPLATE file for the list of files that should be shared in a cluster, or that -- at a minimum -- must be coordinated. This file is the template for the SYLOGICALS.COM procedure during OpenVMS installations, and it is a standard text file.

It has been quite common to miss one or more of these (shared) files over the years, which was the genesis of the creation of the (shared) file list in the SYLOGICALS.TEMPLATE file.

Once these files are configured correctly and any duplicates resolved, then the creation of a username on one node can and will apply (by default) to all cluster members. Transparently. Further, the same security profiles, queues and other such characteristics of a cluster can and do apply to all nodes.

Resolving duplicates is somewhat tedious, unfortunately. There are descriptions of the basic sequence in the appendix of the Cluster Systems Manual. I tend to use listings and a manual ("manual" as in "by-hand") process to MERGE and to flag duplicate UICs, identifiers, and usernames. With a little preliminary work with the text files acquired from commands such as AUTHORIZE (UAF) LIST, you can aim MERGE at the various listings from AUTHORIZE and such, and have it flag any duplicates that require resolution.)

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Oops, I had a typo. That should be:

$ mcr sysman set environment/cluster

not:

$ mcr sysman set environment/cluter

Jon
it depends
Jim Lahman_1
Advisor

Do you have a shareable system disk or does each node have its own system disk? That is, does each node boot off of its disk or boot from a shareable disk located on a storage array such as an msa1000?

If its the latter, than you need to set up a shareable directory among all nodes that contains cluster wide system files.
Cheers!
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

When clusters first appeared in V4.0, merging SYSUAF files was more common.

While manually merging is certainly one option, I would recommend making copies of the files and using convert/merge/exception=x.x as a first pass.

In any event, as Robert Gezelter and Hoff have stated, if you have uncoordinated security files, cleaning up probably isn't something that will be resolved on this forum, as it can be complex. For example, there may be multiple identifiers associated with the same UIC value. If you are new to VMS, you will probably require some assistance.

If this is a "new" problem, then perhaps it will be easy to fix. The longer things have been out of sync, the more divergent they become. If no new accounts have been added or modified, then only things like last login time, etc. will be different.

Did you inherit the cluster? Is the previous owner still available to ask questions?

Disclaimer: I don't do consulting, so you will need to find someone else, if you so decide. There are several people on the forums that do provide these services for a fee. Alternatively, you can read the documentation Hoff suggested, and use Google to search for things like merge sysuaf in Google groups, and fix the problem yourself. You will definitely learn more by doing it yourself, but there is a much higher degree of risk, and having someone that has done this before is probably better if this is a production system. Doing it wrong could leave your system insecure.

it depends