2512 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Announcing Availability Manager V2.4-1

Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Barry,

Please give me a good reason why JAVA is used for the Availability manager, when it requires these amounts of resources - memory and CPU (as any JAVA application).
"Mission critical" environment does not automatically mean "Big site". Small sites have few small machines, and need to use their equipment as efficiently as possible, and I found that JAVA applications can have quit noticable negative influence on overall performance. If that could be avoided, using an architecture that is more VMS-friendly, it would be appreciated; buying more memory, a bigger system or another box is not always an option.

(Personal opinion)
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

@ Barry:

Willem presented the previous entry as "Personal opinion"

Well, he definitely is NOT alone in that opinion! I fully share that view.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Barry Kierstein
Advisor

Hello!

A comment or two about the use of Java for the Availability Manager.
The original decision to use Java for AM was to make supporting both the OpenVMS and Windows platform feasible. Many managers only have a Windows box on their desk as mandated by their company policy, and thus the decision. The ability to run on both platforms has been an advantage to most people.
Now, about the performance. This will be looked at in the next development cycle later this year. The team here is well aware that there are performance issues, and we now have some tools to work on this problem.
Running as a native .EXE would definitely be run more efficiently, but would have made supporting both platforms much more resource intensive, and it would be much harder to keep the application current. With some work on performance, this should help the resource problems in running the Data Analyzer.

Barry Kierstein