3194 Online
108842 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Anyone remember DECInspect?

Robert Manning_2
Valued Contributor

Anyone remember DECInspect?

Hi,

I suddenly have a problem with DECInspect 3.2 and I was wondering whether anyone out there may have any ideas?

I've got a 2-member AlphaCluster (AS4100s with OVMS 6.2-1H3), both members running DECInspect although using a common resource disk and license database.

Each node has its own INSPECT$PORTAL and INSPECT$EXEC processes, however the EXEC process on one node has, for some reason, quit.

If I stop and restart Inspect, the processes start up, there apears to be some I/O on the EXEC process, then a process called INSPECT$Esnd_3 runs for a couple of seconds and quits, taking INSPECT$EXEC with it.

We can find no reason for the problem - it didn't happen immediately following a reboot or any infrastructure changes - my licenses are current, and the security team who use the software would have no reason to make any changes to it.

The error log, curiously, makes reference to a device and files that do not exist on our servers or indeed, anywhere in our enterprise, and so I'm left wondering whether we've somehow reverted to default or example settings of some kind.

I'm sorry if this seems a little vague - to be honest, DECInspect is not something I've used often, and it's been years since I needed to have anything to do with it. I've been through the manual, but the Troubleshooting section didn't appear to offer anything I could use.

I've attached a file showing extracts from logs - if anyone has any advice to offer, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bob
14 REPLIES 14
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone remember DECInspect?

Bob,

there is no attachment - please try again.

Volker.
Robert Manning_2
Valued Contributor

Sorry, Volker - I'll try again...
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Robert,
I have no knowledge of DECinspect, but could it be, that after a reboot some logical names concerning configuration data were missing/wrong and so the unkown devices were introduced?

regards Kalle
Chinraj Rajasekaran
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

even if the disk not existing, it is possible access to a disk from your system with the logical name mentioned in the errorlog file..!!

You should check if any logical for the device mentioned in the error log is missing ?

>>>If I stop and restart Inspect, the processes start up...

May be you should look for some initialization file for all the symbols and logicals before you start inspect startup procedure?

you can check files in sys$startup or also you can look for files in the sysman database.
-----------------------------------------

regards
Raj
Robert Manning_2
Valued Contributor

Hi, and thanks for the replies...

Kalle: I thought that, but from what I can tell, the software was working fine up to 60 days after the most recent reboot.

Raj: The logicals are set from the SYS$STARTUP:INSPECT$STARTUP.COM routine. I've compared it with the one that runs on the other cluster member and everything is as it should be. I believe the disks and images my system is looking at are part of some example routine - the disk labels are named after fictional detectives (Columbo, Bergerac) - I just don't know how or why.

I'll keep going through available command scripts and see if anything looks strange or unusual...

Thanks,

Bob
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Bob,

no knowledge of DECinspect either, but...

The errors in Inspect$Exec_Error.log look like showing the source code module and line number of the DECinspect code, from where the errors are being signaled. If this would be so, the errors on your system would be:

%RMS-E-FND, ACP file or directory lookup failed
%SYSTEM-F-VOLINV, volume is not software enabled

being reported when executing the test called: 'Checking Candidate Test - Public System Dirs(2) 1 [OpenVMSFileProtection]'

Have a look at the SHOW DEV D output on your node where DECinspect is failing. Any disks in an unusual mount state ?

Volker.
Robert Manning_2
Valued Contributor

Volker,

Thanks - no, all the disks are where they're supposed to be. There's a two-member shadowset that acts as the INSPECT$ROOT location, and it's not showing any errors or anything.

I've noticed as well that RID isn't running, and I believe this may be connected to the Inspect issue. I'm looking into that now to see whether there's any clues as to what's going on...

Cheers,

Bob
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Bob,

%RMS-E-FND and %SYSTEM-F-VOLINV could relate to some RMS operation on a mounted disk. This would make sense in the context of the failing test name: Public System Dirs(2) 1 [OpenVMSFileProtection]

Try a DIR/SEC [000000] on all of your mounted disks from that system. On an unmounted disk, you would get a RMS-E-DNR error.

Then there is also the possibility of enabling $ SET WATCH FILE/CLASS=MAJ - if you can edit any .COM file, which will be executed by starting Inspect$Exec.

Volker.
Robert Manning_2
Valued Contributor

Volker,

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

I'm not familiar with SET WATCH, though - what does it do and where should I enable it?

Bob