1752577 Members
5141 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BACKUP of fragmented disk reboots VMS

BrianT_1
Regular Advisor

BACKUP of fragmented disk reboots VMS

I have a VMS V5.5-2H4 system and one of the disks is quite fragmented. As a result I'm getting directory allocation failures because of not enough contiguous space to expand the direcories. DFU says its fragmentation state is "poor" (over 3). I want to take the disk offline and perform a backup and restore to defragment it but when I try, part way through the backup, VMS simply reboots. I found a V5.5-2 ECO for backup but it doesn't seem to address the problem. My current backup is:

Image Identification Information
image name: "BACKUP"
image file identification: "VAX 552R_62-000"
link date/time: 4-MAR-1998 17:10:01.46
linker identification: "05-13"

The ECOd BACKUP (VAXBACK4_U2055.A) is

image file identification: "VAX V6.1-008"
link date/time: 26-OCT-1994 08:49:21.76

Would you expect this to help? Is there a BACKUPSHR.EXE to go with it? I notice there isn't one in the ECO kit.
20 REPLIES 20
BrianT_1
Regular Advisor

In addition to VAXBACK4_U2055.A on the HP ECO site, I've found VAXBACK05_U2055.A on another VMS V5.5-2H4 system we have with backup image

image file identification: "VAX 552R_62-000"
link date/time: 20-JUL-1995 00:35:27.46

How do I know which of these two is the later version?
BrianT_1
Regular Advisor

Stupid me. I just realized that the BAKCUP image in VAXBACK05_U2055.A is the one I have installed. The question remains, however, which ECO is the later because I didn't see VAXBACK05_U2055.A on the ECO site, only VAXBACK4_U2055.A
GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

Oh Brian, you seem to attract trouble. Are you a currator in a computer museum? ;-)

It is not BACKUP that crashes the system. Something else is broke. What was the BACKUP command? Input disk to BACKUP and output device? No crash dump?

/Guenther
BrianT_1
Regular Advisor

GF> Oh Brian, you seem to attract trouble.
GF> Are you a currator in a computer
GF> museum? ;-)

Ha! One might think so. We have about 25-30 VAXes and VAXstations around here that perform some fairly business-critical functions. We develop flight software for and test airborne computers we manufacture with them.

GF> It is not BACKUP that crashes the
GF> system. Something else is broke. What
GF> was the BACKUP command? Input disk to
GF> BACKUP and output device? No crash dump?

A fairly simple

$ backup/image disk: tape:saveset

command will produce the problem. It won't happen right away, but it happens every time during the backup. It has been a while since I last pursued this, so I don't have a dump right now. I can certain generate one, though.

If it's not BACKUP doing it, could it be the tape device? I have a TF85. Sime time the most recent attempt at defragging the drive I had to get the drive in the tape cabinet replaced because it stopped working. Perhaps the crash was just a sign that the drive was failing.
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Depending on your storage, do you have the "luxury" of doing the backup to another spindle? That would rule out your tape drive being a problem.

I happen to have a v5.5-2H4 system still as well, it's BACKUP.EXE shows:

image name: "BACKUP"
image file identification: "VAX 552R_62-002"
link date/time: 1-DEC-1999 15:31:17.11
linker identification: "05-13"

If I search through the release notes in SYS$HELP, I find it mentioned in:

VAXY2K01_U2055.RELEASE_NOTES

Kits superseded by this kit:

VAXBACK05_U2055 (Backup utility)

Good lord man, you're not Y2K compliant!! Planes are going to be falling out the skies!! ;-)

It does read like there were quite a few backup fixes in this patch as well.

And as an aside, reading this and your other recent threads, (and I have no affiliation with the vendor) you really should look into CHARON-VAX. It takes all the "old hardware" worries out of maintaining such relics. It works great!

Cheers,
Art
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Brian,

If one does not have the disk space, another option is to write the BACKUP save set over DECnet to another node that is better endowed with disk space.

A strong suggestion, particularly with older version is to ensure that the RMS extend, blocking, and buffering factors are commensurate with the situation (hint: default extend is FAR TOO LOW). This can be resolved by including the SET RMS command in the LOGIN.COM for the account being used as the targeet.

I have used the above many times when a tape drive is not available not appropriate (e.g., it is difficult to change tapes from 1,000 miles away).

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> If it's not BACKUP doing it, could it be
> the tape device?

Or the disk? If the cause of the crash is a
complete mystery, why rule in the output
device, but rule out the input device?

Can you do BACKUP of another (comparable)
disk to the same tape drive/medium? Can you
do a similar BACKUP of the problem drive to
NL: (or some other reliable device)? Can you
do a BACKUP /PHYSICAL of the problem disk?
Does ANAL /DISK have anything to say about
the problem disk? (I would try to hold off
on /REPAIR until I knew that I had some kind
of useful BACKUP.) Standalone BACKUP?
GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

...or can we have a look at the top few lines from an "SDA> SHOW CRASH" output?

Charon-VAX is not a bad idea. You can run a whole cluster with VAX7000s on you desktop PC. All your HSJ disks can be dropped on a USB-thumb drive.

/Guenther
Edwin Gersbach_2
Valued Contributor

To rule out the output device you could try the following:

$ BACKUP/IMAGE DISK: NL:X.BCK/SAV/LOG

that way you also see the last file copied and can determine the file beeing processed when the system crashes.

Edwin