108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Backup .com to look at more than one disk

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Re: Backup .com to look at more than one disk

grwere,

Let me (too) start with welcoming you!

If the functioning of this system has some value to your company, I would really, I mean REALLY, advise the company to get some external help!

Just ask your management what would happen if this system SUDDENLY stops ALL functionality.

If that can be estimated in money, consider hiring a seasoned consultant as insurance costs.

From your profile, you are located in USA.

Surely there are many others, but just from the top VMS members Hoff, Hein, and Robert are USA based, and offer such services.
I know all 3 of them to be VERY good at these things, and they also are seasoned trainers that will pretty quickly bring you at a sufficient level of knowledge of YOUR system.

Being located in Europe myself, I do not count myself as a likely choice, but I can be reached at JAN at dot NL

GET EXPIERENCED HELP, before it is too late.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
abrsvc
Respected Contributor

If you are located in New England, shoot me an Email. I can help with this. It would be easier to explain things in person rather than a series of notes in this thread. There are a number of possible solutions to the problem. Each has its pros and cons.

Dan
Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

grwere and dabney121:

As Dan mentioned, sometimes it is useful for face to face discussions to solve the problem and give a bit better insight to the solution.

Many of us are located in various locations in the US, if you are so located and would generally be happy to give more specific assistance if necessary. Of course there are others here from all over the World.

I am in the Carolinas for instance.

Of course if your profiles are not accurate then let please update them or let us know where you are located and someone will most likely come forward near you.

Bill.
Bill Pedersen
CCSS - Computer Consulting System Services, LLC
dabney121
Occasional Advisor

Thanks very wise advise and I agree we need help and training. I will look into it.

Can one of you take a stab at one more question?

What we are looking for this tiered disk assigning to resemble is:

Disk01 logical would maintain 2 physical disk addresses. For example they would be:
$1$DGA001:[directory]
$1$DGA002:wherever the new location isâ ¦we could name it $1$DGA002:[NRCTANDEM] so both naming conventions match

Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

The directory name on disk2 can be the same as on disk1. They do not intersect in any fashion.

As a way to get some BASIC OpenVMS training let me direct you to a free, on-line, self-paced environment:

http://plato.ccsscorp.com

I fully admit this is my own site but it is free for your use as well as for anyone else.

There are currently four courses which give you an introductory level experience on OpenVMS. It discusses command procedures, logicals, symbols, editors, file systems and more. There is also an on-line OpenVMS lab environment so you can experiment and test ideas without interfering with your own environments.

Good luck,

Bill.
Bill Pedersen
CCSS - Computer Consulting System Services, LLC
dabney121
Occasional Advisor

Bill, that is very helpful thanks! I will be taking advantage of it.

I guess what I need is the syntax for having both directories assigned to one logical. Can you assist with that.
P Muralidhar Kini
Honored Contributor

Hi,

>> Disk01 logical would maintain 2 physical disk addresses
Not sure if i understand your question correctly.

But if you want a logical to have 2 physical disk address, you
can do it as follows -

$ DEFINE/SYS disk01 "$1$DGA001:[DIR1]", "$1$DGA002:[DIR2]"

The logical disk01 now points to two directories.

$ dir disk01
lists
- $1$DGA001:[DIR1]
and
-
$1$DGA002:[DIR2]

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Murali
Let There Be Rock - AC/DC
dabney121
Occasional Advisor

You are best thanks. I will make sure my co-worker assigns points in the morning. I learned a little bit too.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> $ DEFINE/SYS disk01 "$1$DGA001:[DIR1]", "$1$DGA002:[DIR2]"

Probably not the best thing to do.

> $ dir disk01
> [...]

Ok. What about this?:

dir disk01:[some_dir]

Perhaps something else would work better:

define /system -
/TRANSLATION_ATTRIBUTES = CONCEALED -
disk01 -
$1$DGA001:[DIR1.], -
$1$DGA002:[DIR2.]

Other possibilities:

/EXECUTIVE_MODE
/TRANSLATION_ATTRIBUTES = TERMINAL

HELP DEFINE

You really should look into buying some
serious help. Free advice can get you into
trouble if you're not careful. (And it's not
clear that you know enough to be careful.)
abrsvc
Respected Contributor

Placing 2 different directories in a single logical has its own set of issues and I would not recommend it based upon the questions here.

Can you indicate where in the US you are located? This is an issue that really needs a face to face. In order for anyone to provide relevant advice, a better understanding of the envoronment and its current limitations is required.

I too can provide VMS training and have done so for may years both for DEC and independently.

The fear here is that one of us will provide what sounds like a reasonable solution that may have ramifications down the road.

DAn