108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C++ on VAX, no STL?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Oscar vanEijk

C++ on VAX, no STL?

Hi All,

I need to compile a tool, created for Alpha using C++ v6.5, on a VAX with C++ 5.6A
It won't compile though, since ssteam.hpp is not fount. Other streams are available, but this one is not.

Is this available on VAX? AFAIK, 5.6C is the latest version available for VAX, it is useful to upgrade or should I look for a workaround?
All suggestions are very welcome...

Thanks in advance,
Oscar
6 REPLIES 6
Tim E. Sneddon
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Unfortunately there is no STL on the VAX, as you have already discovered. I'd say that you could use the strstream class from the iostream package in the Class Library. The documentation is here:

http://h30266.www3.hp.com/odl/vax/progtool/deccxx56c/clv007.htm#strstreamclass

Tim.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I'd not expect to see feature updates for OpenVMS VAX.

Workaround. Port the sstream over to OpenVMS VAX, or remove the dependency. Or retire the VAX box. Or run the tool from a clustered Alpha. Or find an existing port of the tool, or mention the name of the tool if somebody might recognize it.

Oscar vanEijk

Thanks guys, it looks like the strstream can help me out. So will retiring the VAX... but timing is everything ;)
Before I make up my mind; has anyone been lucky using STLPort on VAX/VMS with a 5.6 C++ compiler?
WW304289
Frequent Advisor

> has anyone been lucky using STLPort on VAX/VMS with a 5.6 C++ compiler?

As a former maintainer of STLport on HP-UX, I've never heard about using this library on a VAX. Also, I don't recall ever seeing a conditionalization for the (very old!) C++ V5.6 compiler in STLport sources. You might want to try to port it, of course, but, I'm afraid, it will take significant effort.

You may get a better answer on one of STLport mailing lists:

http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=146814

Thanks,
-Boris
Oscar vanEijk

Looks like strtream can help me out. I'm currently backporting, but the first results are promising.
Thanks for your replies!
Oscar vanEijk

-> close thread