HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
Operating System - OpenVMS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIFS for VMS - can I see a file version in windows exlorer

Zvi Kamer
Occasional Contributor

CIFS for VMS - can I see a file version in windows exlorer

Hello,

Is it possible to setup CIFS in such a manner, that the files names in Windows appear with the vms version number,e,g: t.txt;1, t.txt;2 etc.

-zvi kamer
hp israel

2 REPLIES
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: CIFS for VMS - can I see a file version in windows exlorer

AFAIK, no. The Samba server (on which CIFS is based) doesn't have a knob that allows it to enable and display and process OpenVMS file versions.

Here's a technical discussion of this from the Samba mailing list from few years ago:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-vms/2006-October/001694.html

I see no evidence that this VFS approach (or some other such) has been implemented in recent CIFS releases.

I haven't looked around to see if the Samba source code has been posted up from HP after the port, but that would be another spot to look. And given you're associated with HP, you're more likely to be able to gain access to the engineers and to the source code involved here, regardless. If you take that approach, please remember to post up the answer here, too.
Shilpa K
Valued Contributor

Re: CIFS for VMS - can I see a file version in windows exlorer

Hi,

With VMS CIFS, as of now you can only see an highest version of the file through CIFS share. This behaviour is similar to the way files can be viewed on an Advanced Server share from Windows.

Regards,
Shilpa